Tankless electric water heater makes noise

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbarnes

Reaction score
I bought a home and the hot water tank was rusted out so I decided to install a tankless water heater. I installed it and it works but after about 3 months i started to hear a loud banging noise when the water was in use. I researched it and most people said it was jackhammering, i think that was the term, and that I had air in the lines. I am wondering how do I fix this if it is air in the lines and if it could be something different than air since it did not do that for the first 3 months.

Thank you for any help

There is air disolved in the water, and it comes out over time. If you have high spots in the line it collects there. And, may be very difficult to remove.

There is air disolved in the water, and it comes out over time. If you have high spots in the line it collects there. And, may be very difficult to remove.
the water heater is the high spot in my house, i think. do know how i can get the air out?

Is the banging coming from the water pipes or the exhaust pipe from the unit? I just put in a tankless navien 3 months ago and made a post now here because I started hearing an occasional pop coming out of the exhaust vent when the unit turns on. Most of the time it sounds normal, but once or twice a day now I started noticing it when the unit turns on or enters re circulation mode.

Is the banging coming from the water pipes or the exhaust pipe from the unit? I just put in a tankless navien 3 months ago and made a post now here because I started hearing an occasional pop coming out of the exhaust vent when the unit turns on. Most of the time it sounds normal, but once or twice a day now I started noticing it when the unit turns on or enters re circulation mode.
Electric water heaters don't have exhaust

Latest posts

Back