Taking tub faucet apart to get clean

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobN

Reaction score
We had a new water main installed on our street and since we have a lead supply line, they trenched from the sidewalk to the house (a real mess) and installed a new copper supply line.

After they flushed the system with the outside faucet I began flushing the other faucets.

I had to take the kitchen and bathroom sink faucets apart to clean out the grit that was brought in with the plumbing change. They worked fine and still are.

The tub faucet was working fine and now the cold side is barely flowing at all.

I decided that it might be dirt in the faucet and set about taking it apart.

I'm stuck - I don't recolonize the faucet type and don't know how to take it apart to get at the inner works.

Here is a photo of the faucet with the cover removed.
IMG_3495R.jpg

Here's what the cover looks like.
IMG_3499R.jpg

How do I proceed from here?

This is very old, I installed it back around 1988.

I doubt I'll be able to get parts for it but I'm hoping just removing everything and cleaning it will do the trick.

If I have to, I'll replace the entire thing.

Bob

I've solved it.

Here is a photo of the parts, starting with the sliver dome, on the right, and proceeding to the left, to the washers. After the washers comes the body of the value.IMG_3521R.jpg

The second part from the right is the one I didn't know what to do with and I finally decided that it unscrewed - which it did.

The next three parts slide out, albeit they fit fairly tight and have to coaxed out. The washers sit in depressions in the body of the value.

You can see a lot of corrosion on the two white pieces, that's from our old iron water pipes. I found that the cold side had a lot of gunk in it, compared to the hot side, and that was no doubt causing the limited flow. Some of it looked like it might have been grit that got washed in when the new supply line was installed.

I will be cleaning the parts throughly and that should resolve the problem of limited cold water - it was just a trickle.

I'll update this when I get it cleaned and reassembled as to whether it resolved the problem or not.

Latest posts

Back