Syphoning hot water in apt building?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyrus Beroukhim

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I live on the 3rd floor of a 6-floor building. I completed a gut renovation years ago and installed a shower and washer/dryer in a former bedroom, connecting the plumbing to the adjacent bathroom. It takes a long time for the water to heat up in all of the bathrooms on this line, both below and above me. The building is accusing me of syphoning the hot water from the line, even when the washer and shower are not in use. Do you think this is possible, even for apartments below me? The hot water obviously originates from the boiler in the basement. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for explaining that. Do you think it possible that an entire line water line, below and above me, can take a long time to heat up because I connected to it through the wall from another room?

you can not siphon from a water pipe that is under pressure

you can only siphon from a vessel that not under pressure[/QUOTE

Are there any pressure issues involved? Or just water temperature and time to heat up?
Sounds like a poor hot water source and/or time delay to go the required distance.
No recirculation system for the hot water? Usually that's required when you exceed a prescribed distance from the heater.

I think we would have to see the before and after piping to comment on what, if any, impact you may have had on the system.

Back