Switching From Natural Gas To Electric Water Heater...What To Do With Gas Pipe/Valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abraham

Reaction score
I wish to make is switching from a conventional electric resistance water heater to a natural gas powered tank that I received as a gift from a neighbor that needless to say owed me a huge favor.

I never had any issues with local NG prices but the new tank is more of a fit for my homes hot water use, since there are fewer occupants in it since we first purchased it and I also want to take advantage of this new gift that’s almost brand new.

My question is this, since I already have a NG pipe line and valve in my basement what does the plumber have to do with it when and if we make the switch?

My neighbor mentioned that I would have to remove the pipe from my house. This sounded a bit crazy to me, but I wanted to get a general idea of what may or may not be required before seriously considering the switch.

My main reason for inquiring is;

I want to get an unbiased opinion on what generally "needs" to be done with the NG pipe and valve before having a plumber or HVAC pro replace the heater for me and tell me "Oh I have to remove the pipe + valve and this will cost blank $$$ extra".

And I have no intent on doing this on my own, eespecially if something has to be done with the natural gas pipe and valve...

I would just cap the ng pipe because after a few electric bills, you will want to dump the electric water heater and reinstall the natural gas water heater!

Many homes do not have a shut off valve so if one is needed, it may costs a few dollars, but as majak said, just shut off the valve and cap it. If and when you sell the home, it will provide the new buyer two options to heat their water.

Latest posts

Back