Sweat Soldering Equipment

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
position the tip of the BLUE flame at the back of the fitting, shoulder, where i show the big arrow, move the torch around the fitting,

You don't need a really super hot flame to do this. I see to many guys hold the flame on the bottom and wait for the other side to get hot enough to melt the solder. Larger fittings require a little more technique.

I like to give an example of cooking up some eggs. medium flame, Not high flame. or you burn them.

006.jpg

039.JPG

Propane in one hand, solder in the other hand. Will need a videographer or a GoPro camera.
Everybody can weigh in on this one.....do you hold the propane or the solder in your dominant hand?

Depends on how far up into hole I have to reach and solder. But usually torch in left, solder in right hand . I'm right handed

lol... my first attempt had 'dingleberries' all over :eek:

when the joint is hot enough the solder will suck right into the joint.
But if you get it to hot, you can easily burn the flux and ruin the joint.

Don't hold the torch in one spot to heat the joint. h
Here some examples of what happens.
They held for awhile but eventually failed.

My 1st joint looked like a flock of Seagulls all did their binnis right there on my joint. There was a little water involved an we kept adding solder.

High school buddy and I broke a hose bib in front of a 7/11 messing around.
We procured a propane torch and after about 10 or more tries manage to get it to stop leaking.

007.jpg

037.JPG

Burned joint.jpg

Back