Sweat Soldering Equipment

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to try my hand at sweat soldering. What do I need to buy for starters? I am handy but have never done soldering.....kind of a bucket list thing.

I'm about to undo my previous first attempt at sweating copper from ~4 years ago. I definitely didn't clean the joints good enough... They're holding fine just look like sh** ;o

take your time and clean em well before and after!

I'm about to add in a big blue sediment filter, precisely where my crappy joints are so I get to cut em all out and add in a bypass as well.

Last edited:
Question, what are you trying to get out of your water with the Big Blue?

after you get all your parts,pieces.

cut a piece of copper.

place your cotters on the pipe, turn the knob/handle till it just touch's the pipe

turn the cutter 1/2 way around the pipe, then back 1/2 way..tighten ever so slightly
turn it again.

stop...you have a line scored around the pipe.
this line is important. with out it, your cutter will "walk" or thread on the pipe

now you can tighten the handle in small incremints as you turn the pipe

go slow, if done to fast, the soft metal will bell out and be a ***** to put in to a fitting

when its cut, sand the pipe clean, do not touch the end, you have ol on your fingers you do not want the oil on the pipe

take you wire fitting brush and clean the fitting

Question, what are you trying to get out of your water with the Big Blue?

I'm just trying to add some level of filtration in the house, primarily want to drink the water from any faucet without thinking about the yo-yo's that filter it.

The BB sediment filter going in now, then adding a backwashing filter downstream from that in the near future.

I wouldn't waste my money on an in line filter. Anything that it will catch will be caught by the backwashing filter anyhow.

dip your flux brush in the flux, put a thin coat inside the fitting
and a thin coat on the end of the pipe

push the 2 together

you need to orient the fitting so that you an easily get to all sides with a torch.

i sometimes, place the copper in my cutters, tighten the handle, use it as a make-shift mini vice

it works.

you are ready to solider..but first.

below is a bad drawing of a copper fitting, turn your torch on, look at the flame. flame good!!! ugh! fire good!!!!

position the tip of the BLUE flame at the back of the fitting, shoulder, where i show the big arrow, move the torch around the fitting,

in your other hand, you need the solider, pull out some about 12" long. crook the end of the solider.

place the tip of the solider, on the opisite side from the heat, on the front of the cuff, where the pipe goes into the cuff. when the solider starts to melt
get te heat off of it. roll the solider around the pipe.

with the rag, wipe the excess solider off the joint.

if you leave a blob on the pipe, it is called a dingleberry. and that is what others who see your work will call you

why heat the back of the fitting???
Simple capillary action causes the solvent to migrate upward, eventually reaching the top of the thin layer plate.
what???
the solider is drawn to the heat. by heating the back, you draw the solider all the way into the cuff

35f19e324e67445bc3e44a1512f2402f.jpg

newbies tend to forget they have a torch in there hand, when you move the heat away from the pipe

look where you are pointing the torch. do not burn the house down.

if you have a 6x6 piece of sheet metal, you can use it as a flame shield

newbies tend to forget they have a torch in there hand, when you move the heat away from the pipe

look where you are pointing the torch. do not burn the house down.

if you have a 6x6 piece of sheet metal, you can use it as a flame shield

Thank you for the detailed instructions. I'll take it outdoors for the first attempts.

when apprenticed, I was not allowed to touch the torch for 6 mths. only cut and sand pipe
watch and learn is what he said. plenty of time to solider later, only learn once. learn right the first time
you will have no leaks. so i watched, he showed me the different temperatures, how to cap, how to work it.
then one day, after he built a shower valve
solder that, was all he said.

when i did not wipe the fitting, he litterally put a boot to my azz. I Taught You better!!!

took the torch away, said you are not ready...we tried it again the next week
I have wiped every joint since

got a camera? post a picture of your work
Propane in one hand, solder in the other hand. Will need a videographer or a GoPro camera.
Everybody can weigh in on this one.....do you hold the propane or the solder in your dominant hand?

Back