Sure-vent problems?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan3989

Reaction score
Hey all, first post here and hopefully you guys and gals can help me out a little bit. We moved in to a older 1960s about a year ago and up until last month never had any issues with our plumbing. We started with a double bowl sink with a garbage disposal. The garbage disposal was old and stop working due to electrical problems so I omitted it. We are borderline OCD with our food and dishes after meals and have always wiped food into the garbage can, then sprayed with water, then into the dishwasher. We knew the plumbing was old and eventually would have problems. First was water backing up into sink when running water and while running the dish washer. Had a local plumber come and snaked the kitchen drain then into the basement to snake the main drain from the kitchen and seemed to work for a while. Then the backups started happening again. This time they said the existing pipes in the basement coming from the sink were corroded and was clogging it up. They replaced the metal? pipes from the basement ceiling down to the floor with PVC and completely replaced our pipes under the sink. They also installed a Sure-vent under our sink and cleaned the dish washer hose. That was about 2 months ago. Just recently we started all over again with the water backing up into both sides of the sink while running water and running the dishwasher as well as standing water in the dishwasher. In the pictures that I post you can see that there is no high loop. Just a Sure-vent system. I work in the countertop installation industry so I look at and under sinks every day. Every above counter air gap system has the dishwasher hose hooked up to it. Ours does not. Also, if I dont see an air gap I usually see a high loop system. Is the dishwasher hose supposed to be hooked up to the sure-vent somehow? I'm at a loss and I'm tired of paying a plumber to come out every couple of months to fix something. I disassembled the p-trap and poured almost 2 gallons of cold water down the main pipe and it went down without backing up. I can only assume this means that the main pipe isn't clogged that it something to do with something going on in the sink cab. If anyone can offer some advice or insight or anything for that matter it would be very much appreciated. If it's a relatively easy fix I feel confident enough to do it myself. Thanks everyone.

Dan

Attachments

• 20190105_154029.jpg
    20190105_154029.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 20190105_154020.jpg
    20190105_154020.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
I don't understand \.
You say you, "poured almost 2 gallons of cold water down the main pipe and it went down without backing up."
You say the sink backs up "while running water and running the dishwasher".
Does the sink back up when you run the sink ONLY and/or when you pour 2 gallons of water down the sink, without dishwasher running?
Look at this link.
https://removeandreplace.com/2016/04/07/dishwasher-high-drain-loop-and-air-gap-anti-siphon/

Also, the IPC Plumbing code, which I believe you fall under, does not require an Air Gap.
2018 IPC Dishwasher Drain.jpg

1] the hose from the dishwasher needs to be tied up to bottom of counter top
2] the double tee connecting both sink compartments [i think] is not a baffled tee
3] the kitchen sink piping threw the floor is 1 1/2'' it needs to be 2''from under your sink to th tie in at the main
with the correct fall of 1/4'' per foot
4] you have a partial blockage in your sewer, that is the reason for the backing up
try pouring 4 gallons of water instead of 2 down the pipe
5] to lengthen the dishwasher hose so it is long enough to tie to the counter
go buy
3' of 5/8'' inside diameter radiator hose from auto parts store
buy /find, aquire/ a 3'' piece of 1/2'' copper pipe
buy, 2 - 1 1/4 gear clamps from the auto supply. that fit your hose
unhook the white hose under the sink
insert the copper into your new hose, connect the black hose to the white hose tighten the gear clamps
loop hose to bottom counter top
route the hose back to the drain cut odd any excess hose
clamp hose to wye branch drain

Damn Frodo did everything but the install for you. You should do what he suggested. I would suggest you get several estimates if you are going to have any more major work done to the system.

Latest posts

Back