Supporting cast iron soil stack for middle section replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branimal

Reaction score
I'm replacing a hub & spigot cast iron soil stack with a no-hub cast iron soil stack. The replacement section is for the 2nd floor plumbing. The 3rd floor plumbing is all brand new cast iron. I've braced the new 3rd floor soil stack with a riser clamp braced to the 3rd floor subfloor. I also built a "shelf brace" to support the new plumbing below the 3rd floor. See pic.

The plan is to cut out the oil stack in sections from top to bottom. And replace from bottom to top.

Is my bracing adequate to make sure the 3rd floor plumbing isn't shifted?

Attached some pics with more clarifying text.

I'm also replacing the old vent line with pvc, and the old water lines with Pex-A.

Attachments

• IMG_4556.JPG
    IMG_4556.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4557.JPG
    IMG_4557.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4559.JPG
    IMG_4559.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4562 2.JPG
    IMG_4562 2.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4563.JPG
    IMG_4563.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 17
Got it replaced. I still need to cut the vent pipe to install a tee. I'm temporarily using NH couplings to hold it in place. They will be replaced with pvc couplings and a fernco where the plastic joins to metal.

First time using Pex. (PEX-A.) I really like it. Kind of annoying holding it for 20-30 seconds. How long do you guys hold the joint in place before moving to the next joint?

Attachments

• IMG_4708.JPG
    IMG_4708.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4709.JPG
    IMG_4709.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
I don't use pex much but the type I use has copper rings that crimp over pipe and fittings everyone has pros and cons about different styles of prx connection styles

I would replace that band iron with threaded rod and clevis hangers and sammys screwed into joist
Got it replaced. I still need to cut the vent pipe to install a tee. I'm temporarily using NH couplings to hold it in place. They will be replaced with pvc couplings and a fernco where the plastic joins to metal.

First time using Pex. (PEX-A.) I really like it. Kind of annoying holding it for 20-30 seconds. How long do you guys hold the joint in place before moving to the next joint?
the pipe closes up pretty fast. it takes some getting used too. we started with the manual then quickly went to the power spreader.

the pipe closes up pretty fast. it takes some getting used too. we started with the manual then quickly went to the power spreader.
Yeah I splurged on the dewalt expander. Always nice getting new tools. 🤓

I would replace that band iron with threaded rod and clevis hangers and sammys screwed into joist
I have a 4-5 split ring hangers with threaded rods & wall plates screwed into the joists holding up the horizontal plumbing I believe you are referring to. The band iron was just to get it pitched correctly. But it is providing some support so I left them.

Back