Supply Line size to House

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf30tn

Reaction score
What size supply line do you recommend to my house?

I am building a home that is approx 1,300ft from the city meter. The elevation rise is approx 80ft. I really don't want to regret not sizing the pipe correctly and naturally err on the side of larger. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Home will have:
4 full bath
1 - half bath
1 clothes washer
1 kitchen sink
4 or 5 exterior house bibs
Tankless WH

What size pipe do you recommend going from the meter to the house? My utility district recommended a minimum 1 1/2" size with PVC. He advised that the psi at the meter should be about 110 and would probably drop to about 60psi at the house. I'm pretty set on Pex type B though in 500' runs.

I'm looking to run 3/4" through the house and go town to 1/2" or 3/8" when at the sources (using bathroom manifolds for example). I've had a heck of a time finding pex at 1 1/2"size, 1" is about the biggest I can find. I believe I saw that flow rate of 1 1/2" at 60psi being about 81gpm, using the pvc. But it is greatly reduced of course if going down to a 1".

Thoughts? Any other useful info needed?

I've done some mains with PVC Sch.80. It is durable and worth considering.
Plumbing wholesale houses is where plumbers get materials.
If the wholesaler doesn't have it in stock, the distribution channels get it in a few days.
1-1/2" PEX ; you are not likely to find enough fittings nor any few plumbers that can work with it.
I've seen my share of polybutelyene in long underground water service runs like yours.
Not many plumbers I know have worked with it much.
Do not consider PVC Sch 40. NEVER!
Make sure your recirculation loop, if PEX, is full 3/4". I recommend Navien NPE-A series b/c it has the pump and mini tank built in. Nobody else has that.
Depending of how many simultaneous users are possible in your house, consider flow rates and max capacity of tankless: Under 11 Fixt. Units

Poly pipe 200 psi, longer rolls, less joints. I don't know that Pex is legal underground. Might want to check that.

I've done some mains with PVC Sch.80. It is durable and worth considering.
Plumbing wholesale houses is where plumbers get materials.
If the wholesaler doesn't have it in stock, the distribution channels get it in a few days.
1-1/2" PEX ; you are not likely to find enough fittings nor any few plumbers that can work with it.
I've seen my share of polybutelyene in long underground water service runs like yours.
Not many plumbers I know have worked with it much.
Do not consider PVC Sch 40. NEVER!
Make sure your recirculation loop, if PEX, is full 3/4". I recommend Navien NPE-A series b/c it has the pump and mini tank built in. Nobody else has that.
Depending of how many simultaneous users are possible in your house, consider flow rates and max capacity of tankless: Under 11 Fixt. Units
I'm looking up recirculation loop now :) Why would you recommend this and the pump?

Are you planning on plumbing the entire system yourself? If so, then your homework is needed.

If contracting, consider spelling out the end results you require and let your guy figure out how to best accomplish them at the most reasonable cost. Few things a plumbing contractor hates more than a homeowner who's done his own research, come up with a bunch of weird shite which may not meet code, has to be special-ordered, won't necessarily play well together, knowing he'll get a complaint about the high bid.

jack vines

do you have a floor plan? post it
posted - i think. Roughly 1,200ft run - approximately 80 rise in elevation from the meter (blue dot)

In the research i've done across utility companies, forums, product sites I'm fairly set on a 1 1/2" pipe. Now i'm looking at material. I've recenlty come across HDPE, but am doing the research on it versus Pex-b. Cost is much less, but I'm trying to learn about fittings/connectivity etc.

house main.jpghouse basement.jpghouse - water line overview.jpg

Latest posts

Back