Supply line for replacement dishwasher

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdc123

Reaction score
I am replacing my existing dishwasher with a Bosch 800 series, model SHEM78WH5N. It arrives in a few days, and I want to be sure I have the right parts available when it does. I'm mainly unsure about the supply line. The two attached photos show both ends of the existing supply line. I don't know what kind of connection is made at the shutoff valve. I have also attached the installation manual, which describes the installation of the supply line on page 10, and shows related parts on pages 5 and 6. It looks like I should use a standard braided supply line, but will that connect to my existing shutoff valve? Or can I reuse the supply line I have? On page 10 you see that Bosch supplies some kind of connecting hose, but they don't tell you exactly what size it is.

Videos I've seen of similar Bosch models show a different supply line connection at the dishwasher end (with a GH elbow), so there's a chance the manual I got from the Bosch website is wrong, or maybe that the model I'm getting is different from the videos.

Thanks for any help!

Dan

Attachments

• 20210111_160534.jpg
    20210111_160534.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20210111_155955.jpg
    20210111_155955.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • installation.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
It's a type of pex it can be disconnected at the dishwasher it's a threaded connection,at the valve side you would need to cut the coupling and pex off of the copper remove that blue handled valve and install a ball valve then
You need to know what bosh recommends for supply size it either gonna be 1/2 or 3/8

you have

your new unit requires minimum 3/8'' supply,, your wirsbo is 1/2''

and 1- 1/2'' wirsbo x 3/4[[ female hose elbow

cut the end off of the old unit, cut close to where the inlet is on the unit
crimp the new fitting onto the pipe , attach it to the bottom of the new unit

Thanks for the answers so far!

To clarify, I think my new dishwasher comes with a supply line pre-attached, and I think this line has a large female threaded end. It also comes with a short "water supply adapter fitting", which is a short length of hose with a male threaded end that matches the female end on the attached hose, and has a female 3/8" threaded end at the other end. So I think I can connect it to either a large (1/2"?) or small (3/8") male threaded supply.

One answer suggests that I replace the shut-off, and that's probably a sensible idea even though it's more work. The other answer suggests reusing the pex/wirsbo and installing a adaptor of some sort to get the threaded end I need. Any other opinions?

Here's an image of the adaptor that comes with the dishwasher. The right-hand-side goes towards the dishwasher, and the left-hand-side goes towards the shut-off-valve. The right-hand-side looks a lot like an ordinary garden hose connection, so if I replace my shut-off with one that has a threaded connection of that size, I should be able to avoid using the adaptor and just connect the pre-attached hose to the shut-off. Right?
Screenshot from 2021-01-12 09-13-42.png

the rough in required for bosch dishwashers are very specific. this model i do not know , but i always hated installing bosch diswasher as they always took twice as long as most other dishwashers.

Arctic bill, I have had only the best of experiences with Bosch DWs in the past. I even forced clients to get Bosch because they were so easy to install.
That is from the era with the easy front/rear height adjustment via a slotted driver at the front of the unit.
Bosch took me half the time as other brands.

jdc, please post pics of what the front floor details look like so we can see the latest.
I highly recommend you install a basic quarter turn chrome shutoff stop with normal 3/8" compression connection for the Bosch hose. (metal ball type, not the cheap plastic ball Brasscraft with the triangle handle).
This is the normal angle stop we use on all plumbing fixtures.

I installed a Bosch dishwasher in my home about 5 years ago! It came with hoses and other installation aids. I was very impressed with that, but when you turn it on you can’t tell it’s own if not for the control lighting. Only concern I’ve had is the door lock mechanism is very sensitive and the cycle would stop. After replacing a door switch supplied under warranty and it not solving the concern, I learned stress can is created when dishwasher’s upper cabinet is secured to countertop but stress is present because front adjustable leveling legs aren’t truly supporting the dishwasher. A simply adjustment solved the concern of the door latch not securely latching.

Thanks everyone for the help. It sounds like this dishwasher is really easy to install if you have standard things under your sink. You just plug in the power and connect the supply and drain hoses that come with the unit.

I would happily post pictures when it arrives, but it turns out that I just fixed my existing dishwasher (there was a short in one of the ribbon cables connecting the keypad to the circuit board), so I am cancelling the order for now.

Back