sump question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokoz

Reaction score
Hello, I have a general knowledge question relating to my basement sump.

I was having a little problem with the pump running after it drained the pit, which i figured was a problem with the float arm (zoeller 53). Thinking I would need to replace the pump soon, I unplugged it, to see about how long it would take to fill up. Now the pump had been running pretty regularly ,pumping out about 5 gals every couple minutes( I timed it). When I shut the pump down the water level rose to the height of the drain pipe and stopped. I have been watching it for a couple hours and no more water has come in.

So whats happening? Is the water is just staying in the drain tile, or is water building up around the foundation, I assume that would be bad. Why was so much water draining in before? My basement is pretty standard about 7 feet below ground. Is there some simple explanation that I'm just not seeing. I know water does rise above this level at times, I had some water in the basement a few years ago, when the pump went out.

thanks.

A large area of water, surface area under your concrete floor is accumulating and the time it takes to raise once it reaches this larger surface area takes a long time.

That's where the float switch needs to operate from, thus creating longer pump cycles and less revolutions. The life of the pump increases dramatically.

5 gallons of water every few minutes is a lot of water.Is there a check valve and a valve on the discharge line.
I would check or even replace the check valve just to make sure the discharged water is not draining back into the sump.
If there is a valve, close it right after it drains the pit to see if the is drain back from the discharge line.
I'm presuming it is a ground water pump and not a sewage ejector.

Thanks for the replies guys,

"5 gallons of water every few minutes is a lot of water.Is there a check valve and a valve on the discharge line.
I would check or even replace the check valve just to make sure the discharged water is not draining back into the sump.
If there is a valve, close it right after it drains the pit to see if the is drain back from the discharge line.
I'm presuming it is a ground water pump and not a sewage ejector."

I checked the valve when I changed the float switch, working fine. I think this was our spring thaw, the water volume has gone way down.

"A large area of water, surface area under your concrete floor is accumulating and the time it takes to raise once it reaches this larger surface area takes a long time.

That's where the float switch needs to operate from, thus creating longer pump cycles and less revolutions. The life of the pump increases dramatically."

The pump cycle, is pretty much fixed on this pump (zoeller). In my pit about 5 gallons (a guess based on the diameter of pit) til the float lifts.

thanks again.

Latest posts

Back