sump pump water disposal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueberry

Reaction score
I want to know if it is feasible to have my sump pump drain water directed to an above ground storage tank of 500 to 1000 gallons capacity. If it can be done, what would I require to get the water into the tank?

At present my sump pump drains to the edge of my property, but it is saturating both some of my property and some of my neighbor's. They want this issue resolved more than I do. Also, I assume I am constantly recycling the drained water back to the sump pump. I live in the country so no sewer or storm drainage is available. There is no available ditch for disposal. The water table level is very high. I have clay soil preventing absorption. I cannot use the septic tank as the drain field already is often saturated due to the above conditions and heavy washing machine usage.

If I can go the storage tank route, I have a friend who could empty it as needed. I realize I most likely could not use that system in winter due to freezing. I do not want to put in a similar size tank underground but would consider if necessary and doable.

Let me know if any other info is wanted. Thank you for any advice you may be able to provide.

Do you have an idea of how much water you currently pump over an average period of time? That, of course, would be a big factor in determining the size of the storage tank and how frequently it must be emptied.

Assuming the sump pump currently has sufficient head vs flow capacity to keep up with the ground water it must be determined what impact the changing of the discharge head conditions would have on the capacity.
In other words, you'll be changing the discharge conditions by adding a tank , which I assume will change the maximum head(height of the water level in the tank).

What is required is a look at the performance capabilities of the sump pump vs its new discharge requirements.
So that would require the following...
1. Getting sufficient info on pump to look up performance curve.
2. Knowing size, type and total length of piping including all fittings and devices on the line.
3. The total difference in elevation between the minimum water level in the sump and the maximum water level in the tank.

EDIT: In answer to your question, "If it can be done, what would I require to get the water into the tank?"
Required would simply be the piping to get it there and a pump that would be able to handle the requirements. Existing pump may do it but will likely flow at a lower capacity which I can determine when I look at 3 items listed above.

Last edited:
Back