Sump Pump, Utility Sink, Washer, help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While this isn't what I wanted to hear, I appreciate the quick reply. I went downstairs and examined the coupler.... again. I think the sleeve was hung up on a piece of garbage stuck to the side, but I can't really be sure. When I removed the sleeve, the rubber seems perfectly aligned on both the CI and PVC sides. both of the cuts were very straight, so they fill the rubber gasket all the way to the center on both sides. I also wire brushed that heck out of the CI section to be sure and remove all of the gunk that was stuck to the sides (I do notice a slightly raised seam on the bottom from casting though). I wonder if this piece of CI has a slight flare to it? Not sure, but it looks a little flatter now when tightened. Again, I ran a ton of water through this after reassembling and there is absolutely no leaking whatsoever. I also took a look at several pieces of CI that I have laying around from this project (removed from the ground) and everything that I see has a larger outside diameter than the PVC pipe. I'm not sure what else I can do here.

Well, if it doesn't leak, and the ID of the cast is larger than or equal to the ID of the plastic, it should be OK. Just make sure that the ends of the two pipes are aligned as best as possible, so that no obstructions to smooth flow are created.

I forgot to come back and update this post, so here's where I'm at (if anyone cares):

Before:
plumbing1.jpg

After:
finished.jpg

Obviously I still need to plumb the sump pump (I ordered a new one that should be in this week), but the majority of the work is done. Thanks again to all that contributed - I couldn't have tackled this job without your help!

Back