Sump pump short switch life.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acaruso1977

Reaction score
My home is only 8 years old and I am on my third sump pump. Every time it is the switch that is going bad. I'm only getting a couple of years out of every product I buy. No matter the horsepower rating the switch still goes bad. My basement does collect more water then normal. I need advice on a product that has a switch capable of heavy use such as something that you would need if you were in a floodplain?

Last sump I purchased was a Rigid form Home Depot, but that is the 33rd different brand. The switch that is going bad is the one that is operated by the water float. When the water float gets up to a certain level there is a lever that turns on a switch inside of the sump pump. All three brands operated in the same way.

Ridgid from HD is a junky pump, made by Wayne.

They don’t last, bad switches, and leak oil, at least the seven or eight that I have bought.

I have had good luck with the Basement Watchdog a/c pumps from Home Depot, Amazon, or online.

Low amps, nice and skinny, and I use a separate piggy back type switch, as suggested above.

Also, Zoeller pumps are very reliable, the switches fail before the pump in about seven years average, but they are available in manual also.

o.p. if you have enough room in your pit, don't keep using the float on a stick. Though, Zoeller's are usually ok for the life of the motor, the little rubber boot that seals the switch is bound to fail earlier than desired.

Yes, the Zoeller switches eventually corrode from moisture sneaking in.

You can get a new switch, but the old boot is already hard and suspect.

Back