Sump Pump Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwangell

Reaction score
I have a Goulds ST51AV Sump Pump installed in a sump pit outside my house. This pump has a vent hole already in the pump. I have been reading that sump pumps should have a weep hole installed in the discharge line between the discharge and the check valve. The check valve was installed slightly above the discharge of the pump and there is about 2 1/2 feet of 1 1/2" pvc above the check valve where a 90 takes it out of the sump pit.. Is the weep hole in the discharge line necessary when the pump already has a vent hole.

I have a Goulds ST51AV Sump Pump installed in a sump pit outside my house. This pump has a vent hole already in the pump. I have been reading that sump pumps should have a weep hole installed in the discharge line between the discharge and the check valve. The check valve was installed slightly above the discharge of the pump and there is about 2 1/2 feet of 1 1/2" pvc above the check valve where a 90 takes it out of the sump pit.. Is the weep hole in the discharge line necessary when the pump already has a vent hole.
It is my opinion that the a vent hole in the pump serves the same purpose as a weep/vent hole in the discharge line, between the pump and the check valve. i.e -To prevent the pump from getting air locked if conditions occurred that caused in air getting into the pump. The vent provides an escape for the air as water re-enters the sump/pump.
Why not just call the pump mfr and ask their opinion?

Back