sump pump issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashtim1514

Reaction score
My daughter bought an old house that had the sewer drains and sump pump replaced five years ago. I stopped by yesterday to look at what she said was water pouring out of a pipe. Closer inspection shows the sump pump kicking in when she uses large amounts of water..bath tub or load of laundry. I followed the main drain/stack to the basement and it terminates below the slab adjacent to the sump pump. I couldn't get the lid off the sump so I will try again this evening with sockets but my question is...I thought the lines were completely independent; drain lines emptied out into the sewer and any excess water in the basement gets routed to the sump line out into exterior..? Can a partially occluded main sewer line cause a backup into the sump below the concrete when high volume of water is being drained? I don't smell anything such as raw sewage, fecal matter, or anything else in the sump. Thanks in advance for the feedback!!!

yeah..I'm positive it's a sump pump. I'll have to get some photos later this week but the pipe is definitely a sump pump drain pipe that comes out of the band of the house to a flex line that routes water out to the backyard. It's a about a 20 gallon bucket looking device immersed in the concrete with the floor drain being the only drain routed to it and a single exit pipe off a pump with a vertical check valve.

Check to see if float ball is stuck on something. if so, remove obstacle. If need be, reposition pump or remount switch in new position so it cannot get stuck
Water level might not be high enough to engage switch. Raise float manually or add water until float is at activation height to test switch.

Let's see... you are getting water into the sump pit when a tub is drained . The sump is designed to collect water from the drain tiles . This should only be for ground water collecting near the foundation . Sounds like there may be a leak in the buried drain pipe which is dumping water into the drain tile system. I would suggest a plumber to scope it out with a camera . Bob

Back