Sump Pump Issue, HELP PLEASE!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnicol82

Reaction score
My Sump Pump well over flowed recently so we called a plumper out to remedy the issue. He said he just put his hand in the well an pushed down then up on the floaty switch thing and it started pumping again. He charged me $150 and wrote it down as a diagnostic. I have since bought an alarm to warn me when the well is full and about to over flow. The alarm is constantly going off due to the sump pump not turning on, however all I have to do to get it to start is pull up on the lid of the well. Does anyone have a clue why the pump does this? Any Ideas on an easy fix for this issue? I have a battery back up system, but the battery has died, so it must of been using the back up for a while now. The sump pump still works, it just doesn't turn on sometimes... Any help is appreciated!

Also, is there suppose to be a hole in one of the pipes in the well? Mine has a nail size hole which pushes water back into the well when it turns on... I read somewhere that this might be so the pump doesnt air lock, is that true? The hole seems to be making my pump run harder and longer and slashes everywhere when the water in the well is low and the pump is pumping.

Thanks,
-Billy

Me as a service plumber I always end up replacing sump pumps like that if it's just a small residential pump. I usually go with a Zoeller M53. As for the hole in the pipe that's supposed to be there, it keeps the pump from getting "air locked." I would call that company up if they were out recently and demand they send somebody out who knew what they were doing...I think that's kinda messed up if the plumber they sent you just pushed up and down on the float and walked away

I second that, have them replace the pump, or do it yourself. It is just the float switch that that is sticking, it gets full of crude from being in the water all the time. A new pump is about $100 if you do it yourself. For tools, all you should need is a screwdriver, if it is plumbed with flexable tubing.

Latest posts

Back