I just measured my basement and I have five and a half inches of water in my basement. Much more and my furnace is at risk. My pedestal sump pump died, about twenty years old, I wasn't sure how much water, I thought about 2-4 inches when I first noticed the problem. I tried to get the old pedestal sump pump to work, outlet worked but when I hit float switch wouldn't turn on. I panicked and called a professional as soon as open, 7:35am. They say will be $76 an hour and $400-500 for sump pump. Say will only do submersible sump pump. The plumber installs the submersible pump and seems to work at first. Arrived at 9:15 was done by 10 am. The pump has now been on for over 14 hours and the water level seems about the same. The technician said should take most of the day to drain. I haven't seen a noticeable budge. Worse yet, I am not sure if the water is even moving. I am feeling nauseous from stress. I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong area to post this thread. What do I do? Do I do nothing and hope the pump eventually pumps out the water? How long should a basement in an average home take to pump out that's 5 and a half inches deep? Do I call the same plumber company? Do I call a different plumber? I am scared. I don't want to get electrocuted, lose the furnace, nor lose my electrical wiring. I also don't have much money. But have some, the plumber that installed the submersible says they take deferred payment plans. Sorry, to lay this all on, I am just in panic/stressed out mode. There is some freezing rain outside. Thank you in advance.