Sump pump cover help plz

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Touassi

Reaction score
Hey there! Can someone please help me decide what to buy to cover an existing sump pit in my basement? It measures 20.5 inches across and has no plastic bucket looking thing lining it, I am not sure what to buy to fit this. Thanks in advance!
PXL_20220118_211244893.NIGHT.jpg

That is a great idea thank you! What should I use to cut plexiglass?
Diablo blade made for cutting pvc and plexiglass glass., look at the homedepot as I don't know what saw you are going to use., router or what ever you're going to use.

Diablo blade or bit

Buy a 4x4 piece of pressure treated plywood at lowes. Cut it to a circle or square. Your choice. Cut a slit for your pipe. You can also add several cleats to the bottom side to keep it from moving if you happen to kick or bump it.

I would shy away from 1/4" plexiglass for this application and go with cdestuck's suggestion in nominal 5/8" or 3/4" thickness. It looks like one could step on the cover, and plexiglass could break. Any small chip or crack when you cut the slot for the pipe will provide a stress point and a crack would likely propagate catastrophically should a person step on the cover. And broken plexiglass has sharp edges.

You can get 2x4 sheets of pressure treated plywood which should accommodate your 20.5-inch sump. And as cdestuck said, add 3 or 4 cleats to the bottom that can be cut from the plywood piece left over.

Don't paint the pressure treated plywood for 4-6 months to be sure it is thoroughly dry.

Latest posts

Back