Sulphur smell mystery

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowridgej

Reaction score
We recently moved into a house on a well. We do have a water softener. Two of our sinks on the far side of our house produce a sulphuric smell when the cold water is turned on. The hot water on the same sinks do not have the smell. The remaining four sinks in other parts of our house does not have a problem (no smell). We did replace the faucet fixtures and supply lines recently on the two sinks in question. Any ideas as to why these two sinks would have this problem?

Investigate a chlorine injection system. I’m not even sure if that’s appropriate. I deal with city water most of the time.

take a look in you attic on the side of the house with the smell. If there's a smaller pipe running to the big pipe that goes out of the roof, then the sewer gas might not be going where it's posed to.

Research and Look for various Iron Shield whole house water filtration systems. They seem to be about the same, simple concept. They work for this issue. They basically inject air into the water… you can see the whole process various places online.

Are you getting any rust staining or black staining in those sinks? Pour a glass of the cold water and let it sit for a few days, it will probably turn yellowish.

You probably have Hydrogen Sulfide gas in the water.

Last edited:
Research and Look for various Iron Shield whole house water filtration systems. They seem to be about the same, simple concept. They work for this issue. They basically inject air into the water… you can see the whole process various places online.

Are you getting any rust staining or black staining in those sinks? Pour a glass of the cold water and let it sit for a few days, it will probably turn yellowish.

You probably have Hydrogen Sulfide gas in the water.
If that proves true and the homeowner has a tank style water heater, it's surprising that it's strictly a cold water issue and only at one or two faucets. @Willowridgej Let us know

If that proves true and the homeowner has a tank style water heater, it's surprising that it's strictly a cold water issue and only at one or two faucets. @Willowridgej Let us know
I had the exact same issues he describes and my hot water was unaffected. I believe that if it is caused by sulfur bacteria, a hot water heater kept high enough will kill the bacteria.

Last edited:
I had the exact same issues he describes and my hot water was unaffected. I believe that if it is caused by sulfur bacteria, a hot water heater kept high enough will kill the bacteria.
You're correct but he did state his well was recently shocked. That's why I raised my question. I'd need to know more about the plumbing system as it exists to further diagnose.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback on this issue. I have a plumber coming out next week to do a little investigating, checking vent piping etc.
I’ll post what he thinks it is, if he can nail it down.

Back