Sulfur smell in the hot water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treynolds4961

Reaction score
My friend's cabin is on well water. The main house and two cabins use the same well. Each building has its own water heater. Only one cabin has the rotten egg smell and only on the hot side. I drained the water heater, replaced the anode with Al/Zn, shocked the tank with bleach, opened all the taps until I smelled bleach and let it sit for several hours before running the water until there was no bleach smell. All was well for a few days. Then the smell began to creep back. I drained the tank again and this time used hydrogen peroxide to treat the tank. Same results. The problem was gone for a few days and then came creeping back. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have a similar issue. The hot water had a bad sulfur smell to it. I tried a couple methods but the smell kept coming back. It was an older water heater anyways and didnt have an area to replace the anode rod. So I just replaced the water heater. The smell went away for about 5 weeks and then came back.

This is my mothers house, and the water system is a well. She had a plumber out to do some other work and asked them what they thought. She told me, they said we should have installed a tankless water heater but to just remove the anode rod all together. Does that sound right or was my mom maybe mixed up?or could this be another instance where I need to potentially shock the well?

When was the last time you shocked the well? It sounds like that’s your real problem. It’s obviously too late now, but you should’ve swapped the original anode rod with an aluminum, zinc one.

Back