Suggestions for Sink Parts

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell-DIY-Guy

Reaction score
See photo below. This is an as of yet, unconnected sink drain.

As you can see, the stub in the wall (which is 1.5" ABS with a 1.5" to 1.25" trap adapter glued on) is off from where I need it to be. The easy solution is one of those flexi traps but @breplum and @SHEPLMBR not to mention @Jeff Handy might rightfully have a fit and point out that "it's not code".

I can get the height where I want it by a simple (I think) tail piece extension; that would lower the trap the correct height. But, the trap itself doesn't have enough spread to get over. Are there any trap assemblies with bends in them that are code? Is there something I can screw into the existing trap adapter? I've seen plenty of 90, 45, even 22.5 pieces in PVC but don't know how to get them to connect to the trap adapter...

Attachments

• Under Sink.jpg
    Under Sink.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Picture of the trap adapter is dark and blurry.

But if it is typical slip joint compression type for tubular, you could just put a short stub of tubular in there, then a double slip joint 45 elbow, then connect trap arm to that.

You could get the tubular stub by buying a longer tailpiece extension than you need.

Or you might already have enough extra tubular if you harvest a piece of your existing trap arm, since you will probably have to turn the p trap more towards the back wall anyway.

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-elbow-45-deg-1-12-or-1-14-in-poly-1ppa2/i/G1089417/

It's a dark photo because it's black ABS. It's a standard Male Compression Adapter, slip joint. BUT, it's 1.5" ABS pipe in the wall, and the screw end/slip joint end is 1.25". A pretty standard looking 1.25" P-trap with a compression nut came off--but from a totally different sink assembly.

The "double slip joint 45 degree elbow" is something I've never seen...I think that will do the trick.

They don't seem to have that same in a 22.5...but I think the 45 will do. I have not seen these anywhere common that I normally go but this was exactly what I really needed..

1-1/2 in. Plastic 45-Degree Slip Joint Elbow

https://www.homedepot.com/p/205153648
The part that I linked to earlier probably has two sizes of washers.

This HD elbow only has 1.5 inch, but you can grab some 1.25 inch reducing washers from that same aisle.

PS it says the nuts are captured, (captive) but I doubt it.

I ordered two of the 45s from that first link you sent and two long tail piece extensions. Should give me what I need.

Thanks--

Massive bathroom reno for a friend. All new tile walls, marble floors, new fixtures, plumbing, etc. Removed old tub and installed Sterling shower base...etc.

As a followup, @Jeff Handy, that 45 degree 1.5" slip elbow (with the 1.5" --> 1.25" compression washers) did the trick for the vanity sink. I must have used a lot of elbow grease since on the 5 compression fittings in the "drain chain", none of them leaked. All is well. I never saw that kind of fitting at Home Depot, but then again for the past few months the place looks like a bakery in the USSR, circa 1965. So much out of stock.

When I pulled up the tile floor, I found evidence of water leaks at the tub, along a wall, and by the toilet. Essentially everywhere. That necessitated opening up, partially, the walls to see what the heck was going on. I found all kinds of issues in those walls with two piercings of the drain pipes by screws (one which caused a leak), a cracked 3" fitting on the main stack, and no support for the copper piping that served the toilet and the sink. There was all kinds of questionable work, such as lots of horizontal, through the stud DWV piping (when they should have gone STRAIGHT DOWN to the basement and done the horizontals there w/o having to drill through structural stud walls); shut off valves with drains installed BACKWARDS, and more.

I had my challenges but it's all done now.

Back