Suggested fittings for DIY solar shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgarland

Reaction score
I am working on an outdoor shower to put on top of my van, but I spent hours at home depot trying to find the right hardware to fit things together. I am a complete newb, so any advice on finding the right parts is much appreciated. Here is my kindergarten cartoon of the idea:
D25E7F36-18D2-410C-A060-437BD2FCF6A3.jpeg
The tube on top is a 4 inch PVC pipe with caps bonded on the ends. (1) is a schrader valve for air pressure, (2) is a T opening for filling it up with water, and (3) is some kind of pressure tight fitting to couple to a 1/2 inch female hose. (1) and (2) should be airtight to 40 psi.

My main questions is what hardware should I use for (3)? My budget is around $100.

Thanks in advance!

I can't visualize it, need more info.
Female garden hose fitting, attaches easily to hose bib, or any faucet with mating threads.
I'm assuming you'll want a way to turn water on/off.

I can't visualize it, need more info.
Female garden hose fitting, attaches easily to hose bib, or any faucet with mating threads.
I'm assuming you'll want a way to turn water on/off.
Sounds good. Do you think it needs rubber washers to be water tight to 40 psi?

You can find lots of good diy outdoor shower designs on Google and Youtube.
With complete parts list and assembly instructions.

I think you need to start over from scratch, a single pvc tube as a tank/solar collector seems doomed to be unsatisfactory.

You should not need to add any air pressure.

Gravity should do it, unless you are really tall, or your van has a very low roof.

EDIT I see lots of Youtube vids showing a single tube, looks like they can hold about five gallons.
Some of them use a motorized tire inflator to pressurize the tube.

Maybe a six inch would be better?

Last edited:
You can also get solar camp showers that are fully assembled.

Some of them can hang from a tree, or could hang off the van roof rack.

Back