Submersible Pump Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the pump curve you have.

1663880691775.png

Friction loss for 500 feet of pipe at 50 GPM is about 22 feet of head, so if you are indeed not lifting the water higher than about 2 feet, the pump should be pumping out somewhere between 40 and 50 gpm. I am assuming the entire discharge line is 2" PVC. So, when you say the water is flowing out, but definitely without a massive force, I'm assuming it is not close to that level of flow. Note that elevation can be hard to actually see. and the internals of a buried pipe can be hard to determine. So, the friction drop across the 500 feet of pipe may be higher than what the tables show, and the elevation may be higher at the discharge end than it appears. 500 feet is a long way to visually see any elevation difference.

Theren is also the possibility of the impeller having damage, but it is still being able to pump some amount of water.

That's about the only thing I can say at this point.

So I’ve replaced my sump pump with the Liberty LE70 pump and a 4” discharge pipe properly pitched. It collects rainwater from a channel drain in front of my garage.

This morning, after heavy rain, my pump was off despite the floater being in the ON position. I unplugged the pump for a bit & when I plugged it back in, it hummed but did not pump at all. Video attached

I am curious as to what you think the issue may be. It’s a very heavy pump and hard for me to remove but any leaves etc should be handled since it’s a shredder pump.

Thx in advance!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6501.MOV
    3.3 MB
Sounds like something might be stuck in the suction and keeping the impeller from turning, like a piece of wood or rock. That looks like new pump, so I doubt a bearing would have failed in such a short time. If the pump wasn't running or humming when you unplugged it, it probably had tripped the thermal overloads in the motor windings. Leaving it unplugged for a while allowed it to cool down and then when you plugged it in, whatever is causing the pump motor not to turn is still there and the thermal overload will trip again.

You will need to pull the pump and check for any obstructions and be sure that the impeller will turn by hand. Do this with the motor is unplugged of course. Don't want to lose a finger.

Thanks for the thoughts. I removed the pump and turned it on while it was out of the water. It continued to just hum. I basically ruled out air lock at that time since the discharge was disconnected.

I then unplugged the pump and used my finger to move the impeller. I didnt feel or see any debris. However, after doing that, the pump worked perfectly fine.

Really strange. I guess it was jammed on something??

Thanks for the thoughts. I removed the pump and turned it on while it was out of the water. It continued to just hum. I basically ruled out air lock at that time since the discharge was disconnected.

I then unplugged the pump and used my finger to move the impeller. I didnt feel or see any debris. However, after doing that, the pump worked perfectly fine.

Really strange. I guess it was jammed on something??
Perhaps, but I would contact the manufacturer and tell them what happened. It could be a motor electrical issue, bad bearing, or something was blocking the impeller that came out without you noticing it, and you want to get this issue on record.

I called the mfg and they said that it was likely NOT a mechanical issue and just something stuck in the impeller.

As for why a 4" pipe @SHEPLMBR , because I wanted as little friction as possible and to be able to upgrade eventually to a potentially stronger pump without needed to re-dig a discharge

I wanted to post this video to show an example of the issue I have been having, even after drilling a weep hole.

If you watch and listen to the video here, my pump's floater triggers appropriately, then the pump makes a strange noise and then hums, however it doesn't actually pump. There is nothing stuck in the impeller from what I can tell, despite the noise. I'm thinking maybe it's the check valve somehow?

If I turn off the pump and then turn it back on, the issue usually resolves itself.

Any thoughts appreciated! I am so grateful for the help on here.

Attachments

• IMG_6689.mov
    15.7 MB
Back