Submersible Lake pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakefront

Reaction score
Hello I'm looking for info with regard to my submersible pump and water supply. I had a submersible pump installed about a year ago.
I had some issues with the pump floating up to surface.
I suspected that someone may have pulled in up from the bottom, which is about 5 to 6 feet deep. I have a bouy attachd to mark its location.
I've had trouble on a couple of occasions in the past with this happening.
I originally had this submersible pump installed because the old jet pump was giving me trouble.
I had two plumbers tell me the submersible was the way to go.
So I paid and had it installed.
I sank a pump and line down with enough weight that it would not surface. Shortly after this, I lost pressure, called plumber and he came out and changed the filters. Apparently they were clogged and he changed to a lighter fiber ? Apparently more friendly for over the course of the winter.
Our lakes freeze over the winter.
This is my fulltime home.
Any thoughts , feed back appreciated.
Thanks
Lakefront

The pump and motor will not float, but the black poly pipe will. Either weight it down or let the bouy keep it floating a couple feet below the surface.

Does the pump and filter actually sit on the bottom, down in the muck?

If they do, you could wire four milk crates together as a base, on their sides, like a raft.
Leave the crate openings facing out, so you can get inside there to wire them and add weights.

Wire in some bricks or heavy pavers inside, for weight. Or just Home Depot sand in plastic bags, wired in securely.

Place the pump on top, screwed or wired to the top surface.

That would give you about a foot of clearance off the bottom, and will hold it from floating up.
Tie several synthetic ropes from the crate raft up to your buoy, better to have several in case one chafes, snaps, or comes untied.

Last edited:
The stand is poly
And it does hold air.
I guess my question is more around
How I'm getting air in the first place.
As I mentioned, we'd suspected that someone had lifted pump originally. Fishermen??
I then sank it with weight and it stayed down a day or two.
Installer tells me the only way it would come up is if somebody lifts it.
On my third attempt I attach enough cinder block to be sure it was not coming up. Shortly after I kept losing pressure. Installer tells me that I need new filters and that if the filters are plugged it will not allow water through and create air.
Since changing filters it been good.
However I do notice change in pressure when I'm in shower sometimes. Like a small pulsating.
Periodically.
I'd attach a picture if I can figure how to attach .
Thanks
Lakefront

There should be a pressure tank in your house.
It might need recharging with air, or servicing, or replacing.

Thanks
I checked the tank while running hot water. Pressure drops down to 40 and starts to build back upto 55 -60.
I notice before it does it has a lag and drops to about 35. I think this might be when I'm seeing a bit of a change in pressure. I hear it click on at 40.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Much appreciated
Lakefront

A Cycle Stop Valve would hold the pressure at a constant 55 PSI for as long as you are in the shower. Makes for much stronger shower pressure and takes a lot of cycling abuse away from the pump and bladder tank.

Thanks
I checked the tank while running hot water. Pressure drops down to 40 and starts to build back upto 55 -60.
I notice before it does it has a lag and drops to about 35. I think this might be when I'm seeing a bit of a change in pressure. I hear it click on at 40.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Much appreciated
Lakefront

It sounds to me like you have a little bit too much air pressure in your tank, here is how to check it. Turn off the power to the pump, and then get in a position where you can hear the pressure control switch and watch the gauge. slowly bleed off the pressure, the switch should click at about 40 psi, and then at about 38 the gauge should quickly drop to 0, that is if everything is set up right!

Back