Submersible Check Valves

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pikanjoe

Reaction score
I am considering buying a new Myers submersible pump for a new well. The pump comes with an external check valve that, I believe, I have to install on top of the pump. I am not sure what kind of check valve it is, one with a flapper or one with a plunger, but I would feel better if the check valve was inside the house, just before the water tank so I can get at it if it ever gives trouble. Is this a no no, should I install the check valve on top of the pump or am I ok if I install the valve just before the pump?

I would also much prefer a check valve with a flapper instead of a plunger, I believe valves with a plunger are much too restrictive, am I right about this?
?

Many thanks,
Pierre

I believe what you refer to is a foot valve ( on the inlet side of the pump ? ) if so then it needs to be where it is. there are others on here that are more Well savy experts than I, i have posted my insight and now wait to learn as do you from those better suited to this particullar problem.

If you have a bladder tank, there should be a check valve on the pump. The pump should have a check valve built into the wet end of the pump, (most do).
It prevents water from flowing back through the pump. If the water were to be flowing back when the pump started, it can twist the pump shaft in two, because the water flowing back will cause the motor to spin in reverse.

The spring loaded plunger type, is much better than the flapper type, for down hole use.

If you were to install the flapper type (sewage check valve) it would bang when the pump turns off. You don't want that.

The only time you want a check valve up by the tank or anywhere else except the pump is if you have a galvanized tank and the check valve and other items are there to add air to the tank.

If you would rather buy a pump with a Franklin motor instead of a chinese motor (myers) click here.

Back