Stupid septic! Need help from the pros!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temperoath

Reaction score
Ill try to be as clear as possible in this description. Here is my story:

Im currently deployed with the Army, and I own a home that I have been renting out for the past few years. I know the basics of septic systems, how they work, etc. But Im not sure how to approach this issue.

1. It seems that several times per year, I get calls about sewage either backing up into the house via the tubs and toilets, or overflowing out in the yard where there is screw top PVC above ground just after the main line comes out of the house. All anyone has ever said was "I have to pump the septic, can't find a clog" It doesn't seem like this should need to be done several times per year (its a smaller 3 bed 2 bath house 1350sqft occupied by a few people). This leads me to believe that it may be an installation/design issue, but I'd like to hear everyones thoughts!

2. The design (as far as I know with limited experience) is as follows.
When the main line leaves the house through the front its obviously underground. There is an "access point" to the main line just after it comes out of the house (PVC). The line then flows underground diagonally under the lawn and the cement pathway and to the side of the parking pad. This is where its a little different. There is no leach field. Its in a small neighborhood on a little parcel of land. After it goes to the septic tank, stuff leaves the septic tank and goes directly into a big main line by the road that collects from all the houses on that street...from there I believe it goes to a plant just down the road. Kind of like a hybrid septic/sewer system.

** Im thinking that maybe the slope of the pipes leading to the septic tank is off causing it to flow back in when the tank gets fuller, or maybe the septic tank itself was installed wrong. :confused:

Im looking for suggestions, tips, anything really. Also best/worst case scenarios and typically how much those repairs may cost.

Sorry for the novel and thanks for your help! I quickly made a crude diagram that may give you a better idea of what Im looking at. If you'd like to see it I'd have to email to you...it wont let me attach the pdf.

First off I would like to thank you for your service.

There should be no reason to pump the tank any more then every three years. You either have a stoppage before the tank or the line leading from the tank to the roadway. The only other possibility could be the main line at the roadway is getting plugged. If that was the case the other homes on the system would be having the same problem. Is there a clean out plug in the line leading away from the tank? If there is check it the next time the line gets plugged. If it is full of water then the problem is beyond the tank.

John

First off I would like to thank you for your service.

There should be no reason to pump the tank any more then every three years. You either have a stoppage before the tank or the line leading from the tank to the roadway. The only other possibility could be the main line at the roadway is getting plugged. If that was the case the other homes on the system would be having the same problem. Is there a clean out plug in the line leading away from the tank? If there is check it the next time the line gets plugged. If it is full of water then the problem is beyond the tank.

John

Thanks for your response! Also, thanks for your support. It really means a lot to all of us over here to know that the country we serve has our back on the homefront!

To answer your question, I don't think there is a clean out plug after the septic. The only one I recall is the one just after it leaves the house. I will make sure the plumber checks the exit line as well. If there are no clogs found in the lines, do you think it could be a design issue?

Thanks!

I can't see were it could be a design issue on your end. Unless the line is back pitched or is broken that exits the tank. And like I was saying if it's beyond your line exiting the tank the other homes would be having the same problem. You say you don't think there is a clean out on the exit side of the tank. If that is the case then I would have to say that line has never been snaked. If that line is plugged it would cause the tank to fill in a very short time. How long is the line from the tank to the street? If there is any length to it there should be a clean out every 50'. If pumping the tank solves your problem for a short time then the line from the house to the tank is OK.

John

I'd suggest having it video inspected, you would then be able to rule out any thing in the line that could be snagging debris, a busted line, and even a backgrade. once you know your end is covered then talk to your municipality and make sure to keep recipts of the Pump truck services as these should be covered if its of no fault of your own design.

tanks have on occasion been installed backwards and then can create issues, Im not the most experienced on here with septic ( john knows his stuff for sure ^^ ) but I have also seen a fibreglass tank shift during high water table and lift due to not being properly anchored.

:Salute: :)

@Johnjh2o: Everything is in a really small area. For example, the run from the house to the tank is probably around 30-40ft. The tank sits on the side of the car park which is literally within feet of the main line in the neighborhood. Probably not any more than 10 feet max. I was sort of concerned about possible back pitching, or at least variable pitching and leading to faster build up. Of course I could see the water flowing through the first clean out, but that could all change under the earth before it gets to the tank.

@Liquid: video inspection sounds like a good idea. Can they detect back pitch without digging?

Being 7000 miles away doesn't make anything easier...thank god for email and internet. Theres a huge thread between me and the property manager right now! :)

Yes, a sewer camera operator should be able to pick up on back pitch in a drain line. There will be a section of drain line that retains water.

And I will echo others,

Thank you for your service.

Yes, a sewer camera operator should be able to pick up on back pitch in a drain line. There will be a section of drain line that retains water.

And I will echo others,

Thank you for your service.

Makes sense! :) Ill give it a shot and see what they can tell me!

And, thanks for the support!

A lot depends on how old your field lines are also! The soil can only take in so much sewage .

Latest posts

Back