Stupid Inspector

Discussion in 'Plumbing Building Code' started by sampson, Jan 8, 2010.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above.
  1. Jan 8, 2010 #1

sampson

sampson

sampson

I have a question that does require an immediate response. I am trying to get my top out rough in inspection at a restaurant where the units separating walls are 1 hour fire rated. The inspector will not pass my rough in as it is his belief that:
    1) - My drain and vent piping (pvc) is not supposed to be inside of a 1 hr rated wall (a combustibility issue). Even though as an up-fit project there was already PVC in wall.
    2) - To remove existing plumbing we removed the 5/8" wall board and installed our new plumbing in same wall. Inspector says and I quote "I don't know how you can repair drywall to 1 hour rating, so I can't pass your plumbing till I find out".
    I am at a total loss on what to do with this guy. Any help???

2. Jan 8, 2010 #2

majakdragon

majakdragon

majakdragon

Professional Professional

The Code may have changed since the old plumbing was installed. Commercial plumbing codes are much stricter than residential but normally any changes must be up to new code specs. The Inspector should know how the wall must be repaired, since this is part of his job. I would call his supervisor and inquire. I worked as a Water service inspector for 5 years, and if I didn't know the answer, I could either radio in or call for a quick answer.

3. Jan 14, 2010 #3

Reedwalker

Reedwalker

Reedwalker

Expert Turd Herder Professional

It's hard to be clear what the inspectors particular problem is here. Generally it is the Building Inspectors jurisdiction to approve/disapprove of a wall material or patch material/method.

You did however mention that you used PVC in a demising wall. In many municipalities this is not allowed. The required fire rating of the entire demising wall (your side, insulation/air gap, neighbors side) may very well be 2 hours. When penetrating that wall with PVC you have reduced the integrity of the fire wall. Most municipalities require the use of cast-iron or DWV Copper in a demising wall.

Unfortunately in public safety issues such as fire protection "grandfathered" is a word never used.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
    Zanne likes this.
  4. Jan 14, 2010 #4

Nailer341

Nailer341

Nailer341

Resident Professional

In our jurisdiction it has to be in Cast iron.

Zanne likes this.
  5. Jan 18, 2010 #5

wwwrongeorgedesigncom

wwwrongeorgedesigncom

wwwrongeorgedesigncom

You can meet the code requirements for the seperation wall by bringing the penetration up to the same fire penetration classification as the wall itself. Yes plastic pipes can penetrate fire walls, but they must be protected with intumescent fire stopping collars on bothe sides of the penetration. If the pipe only penetrates on one side the collar only needs to be on one side.

See UL approved firestopping collars for PVC pipes at Hilti.com and 3M.com
    you will need to submit the documentation to the inspector for review and approval.

The existing PVC pipe penetrating the wall can also be fitted with these collars to make them code compliant.

Ron George

Zanne likes this.
  6. Feb 21, 2010 #6

dunriteplumbing

dunriteplumbing

dunriteplumbing

slip him a hundred bucks and tell him to go buy something nice. fugettaboutit

7. Mar 29, 2018 #7

bennybestin

bennybestin

bennybestin

You can use removable wall It is a flush movable wall system that is easy to operate for customers. It provides the highest level of acoustic integrity. More importantly, this fit can also achieve the desired acoustic integrity between two nearby rooms.

8. Mar 29, 2018 #8

voletl

voletl

voletl

Wow been over 8 years since this post was active but you brought it back....