Stuck/rusty Kitchen faucet nut?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indykent

Reaction score
Hi, I decided to replace my kitchen faucet of roughly 10 years, but I am unable to remove the giant nut holding the sink to the granite top. I have tried dousing the giant nut and bolt with wd40, liquid wrench, and even CLR but I still cannot get the nut to turn even the slightest bit. I am easily able to remove the screws holding the nut down, but I slightly twisted them back in for grip and support as you can see in the pictures (album below). I believe there is some sort of plastic or silicon spacer between the granite and the nut, it is brown/black and has been flaking ever since I began spraying the different liquids. I have attached the photo album link here: http://imgur.com/gallery/hH7NzEr

Please let me know how to get this big nut off and remove the faucet!

PS: I twisted the hot water line off, that's why the copper pipe looks broken

I think the backnut is stainless steel, i think it would be extremely hard to cut
there is also something called a basin buddy it fits on the end of a socket...but if its frozen on there you will have to cut it off hd and lowes sells all kinds of cutting wheels for the Dremel tool

I'm not sure about the orientation of things but can you get in with some type of cold chisel/punch to tap (parallel to the countertop) on one of those nut "ears"?

I'm sorry that there is so little actual information here. The orange tool, although VERY useful for many sink install situations, is of no use here. I've had this problem many times and the best solution is a good basin wrench, (after removing, or at least loosening the 2 screws) … or if there is no room carefully drill into the nut (it's not SS) with an "aircraft" drill bit. That is a long (about 12") drill bit available at any Big Box. I first use an 1/8" to start with and then 1/4" and it should break right off. Start slowly with the 1/8" and drill slightly towards the valve body, so you don't ruin the bit on the granite. Follow with the 1/4" and if needed you can use a screwdriver to snap the ring.

This may not work in your case, but I had a bathroom faucet that I couldn't get off, so I ended up using a sawzall on the top side above the counter, and was able to cut it out that way. Sawzall was too close for comfort for a higher priced, or customer, counter top though - have a Dremel now, but didn't at the time. And Dremel would be better if going at it from the top side as well.

How hard would it be to pull the sink. Then you can get at the nut easily. Had to do this myself about a month ago. Unless the sink is part of the counter top.

With that faucet installation probably an under mount sink. Not fun to pull.

I would try taking frodo's list of methods and running it backwards as follows:

1-dremel with cut off blade - Use to cut as much of that, "plastic or silicon spacer between the granite and the nut", as possible.

2- hammer/chisel (or good size blade screw driver) - Hopefully you can break it loose.

3- basin wrench - After breaking it loose, remove with basin wrench.

Latest posts

Back