Stuck hose on washing machine

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum Help and Support' started by gotaigo, Sep 3, 2019.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Sep 3, 2019 #1

gotaigo

gotaigo

gotaigo

Hi all, Wanted to replace the rubber hoses that came with the house 25 plus years ago with steel braided as I heard these black rubber hoses are more prone to break.

I was able to relatively get the cold side off but the hot side is more challenging; the 90 degree connection part of the hose has snapped off and is stuck on the house bib. I heard one way to remove is to hacksaw it off but it think I cut into the hose bib threads. Does this necessarily mean that I’ve compromised the bib now and need to replace it or is it still usable? Will cutting partly into threads cause a future leak?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sep 3, 2019 #2

johnjh2o

johnjh2o

johnjh2o

Senior Member Professional Lifetime Supporter

You may be OK. The threads don't seal the joint. There is a washer in the hose connection that seals against face of the hose bib.

Rossando likes this.
  3. Sep 3, 2019 #3

gotaigo

gotaigo

gotaigo

I was wondering whether the thread had any to do with stopping the water leak but maybe it’s more for providing the connection and holding it there fir the bib and hose. Thanks John! I think just as an added insurance, I’ll put plumbers tape around but I’m afraid the tape is quite thin to make up the 1mm I cut into the bib. Hopefully, you’re correct that the thread shouldn’t affect the integrity regarding leaks and ax you pointed out, that’s what that washer in hose is for.

4. Sep 3, 2019 #4

johnjh2o

johnjh2o

johnjh2o

Senior Member Professional Lifetime Supporter

T Tape is not needed.

5. Sep 4, 2019 #5

gotaigo

gotaigo

gotaigo

Hi John,

Thanks for your encouraging words. I tried putting plumbers tape but it made it difficult or impossible to screw on to bib; so I ended up unraveling the tape and I was able to attach it! So far, so good. No leaks.
    I think what you had said that the cut in the bib groove shouldn’t affect leakage has born out to be true so far. Thanks for your posts. It’s lonely when you’re trying to solve these things.

Rossando likes this.
  6. Sep 4, 2019 #6

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

johnjh2o is right on the money.
    The seal is made against the flat round face of the spout of the hose bib.

The threads are there for mechanical attachment, and to draw the two parts tightly together.

The hose bib front face corresponds to the same profile of flat metal in the hose-threaded connector that you attach to the bib.

The hose washer squishes between the two, providing a flexible seal, and making up for any small irregularities in the metal surfaces.

If you cut so far that you compromised part of the mating surface of the hose bib, causing an eventual leak, you can try swapping the hose washer for another type.
    Some hose washers are fatter, thinner, wider, stiffer, or more flexible, some are flat, some are tubular like an o-ring.

You can also try the old trick of adding an extra hose washer, but only if you can catch plenty of threads on the supply hose connector.

7. Sep 4, 2019 #7

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

Just a little added info...
    A garden hose thread is not tapered. Hence the reason it is not water tight without a washer.

8. Sep 7, 2019 #8

frodo

frodo

frodo

Just call me Macgyver Professional Supporting Member

9. Sep 7, 2019 #9

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

Okay, I give up. What does that mean?