Stuck Grohe EuroMix shower cartridge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harte

Reaction score
Hey Gang,
FYI...I just encountered a problem with a stuck Grohe Euromix cartridge in my shower valve. After finding a replacement cartridge (no easy task as this is an old valve) I attempted to follow the procedure given by Grohe on removing the cartridge using the existing nut and a supplied white plastic spacer to unscrew the old cartridge. Unfortunately, due to poor design, Grohe doesn't supply enough thread on the existing nut to allow the spacer to remove the cartridge as you unscrew the nut. You basically run out of threads and can't get enough leverage to pull out the stuck cartridge!
Unlike a Moen, Grohe doesn't make a puller to make this an easier task.
Tech support was no help.

After much yanking, pulling, prying, harsh language, banged up fingers I gave up and called my plumber for help. When he found out what I was dealing with, he told me "...this is a problem valve and hard to work with ...I'll call you back and see you Friday". Well, he never showed up and then wouldn't return my numerous phone or text messages. My anxiety factor was increased ten fold. I'm screwed I thought.

Problem....what to do..

Solution....
Take a pair of needle nose vice grips and secure them tightly around the shaft just behind the flange on the stem. Leave about 1/2 inch of the tips of the pliers exposed on one side while resting the handles on the surrounding tile on the other side. I placed some padding under the handles to avoid damaging the tiles.
I then placed a 1/4" (or similar ) board on top of the tile which I rested a crowbar on. This was done to spread out the force when using the crowbar so I wouldn't crack the tile on that side. I placed the crowbar under the exposed tips of the vice grips and leveraged that bugger out!.

After cleaning the hole with emery cloth, and lubing it with lithium grease, I slipped in the new valve and was back in business.

I place this post in order to save others who have this poorly engineered valve the same headache I had in changing this cartridge. In my book Grohe should supply a tool like Moen to make this task an easy (easier) one.

If this helps just one person then it is worth it.

Good luck!

Great ingenuity! Thanks for sharing

The very first Moen core I ever pulled many many years ago. I had just started learning how to clean drains. Brass core. Not a clue how to get it out. pulled the inner stem out, ran a 1/2" tap into the core. screwed a 1\2" bolt into it until it bottomed out on threads I cut. 1 more turn, I broke the bond the core had with the valve body. then I just pulled it out. I was like YEAH !! I was then later informed they make several types of pullers for that.:(

Oh yes.... My problem precisely. I've tried heat with no luck. Considered pouring vinegar down the shower tap. Time for the vise grips I guess. Not sure they need to be needle nose but we'll see. Photo is 90 degrees left but you get the picture.

image.jpg

So it looks similar to a Moen in that it has an inner stem that rotates inside barrel. That barrel is what is stuck to the valve body.
Looks like a notch in the top of the barrel like the Moen cores have but no tool available to turn that barrel.

Oh yes.... My problem precisely. I've tried heat with no luck. Considered pouring vinegar down the shower tap. Time for the vise grips I guess. Not sure they need to be needle nose but we'll see. Photo is 90 degrees left but you get the picture.

I mentioned the needle nose as they will slip under that lip and protrude a little bit past the shaft of the valve. That little bit of needle nose exposed will allow you to get a crowbar/large screwdriver/etc under the tip of the needle nose and then using leverage you can pry that puppy out. Remember to use padding (like a flat piece of thin wood) to spread the force so you don't damage your tile (if you have tile). This should yank it out easily.

Large vice grips with a big nose may not fit under that little lip on the valve shaft. Good luck! This method saved me $90 in plumbing fees!

Sorry for the late reply. Hope this helps.

Great ingenuity! Thanks for sharing

The very first Moen core I ever pulled many many years ago. I had just started learning how to clean drains. Brass core. Not a clue how to get it out. pulled the inner stem out, ran a 1/2" tap into the core. screwed a 1\2" bolt into it until it bottomed out on threads I cut. 1 more turn, I broke the bond the core had with the valve body. then I just pulled it out. I was like YEAH !! I was then later informed they make several types of pullers for that.:(

You are right...there are pullers but I couldn't find one. And the cheesy plastic one that came with the replacement stem sucked. It was worthless. That's why I used a pair of needle nose vice grips and a small crowbar and popped it right out in first try. Unfortunately I didn't think of this until after I had a plumber repair the stem the first time. Cost me $90. When I called him to replace it again he blew me off...so I had to come up with this method. Thanks for the input!!!!

Well, thank you all for the insight and tips. Here is what I did. I designed and manufactured a removal tool. When tested, it pulled it out without any damage to the original cartridge in less than three minutes, no prying, and saved me from tearing out the wall. Well worth the two days in the shop and about five hours of design and manufacturing. Following removal, cleaned the bore, lubed it up, and inserted the new cartridge. BTW: The cartridge number is 07000000 (1974) and they are readily available. Retailer wanted $90. Found on Amazon for $55. Hasn't worked this slick in 30 years! I plan on overhauling the old cartridge and believe there is a seal kit. If anyone would like to use my removal tool, simply ask here and we'll work out the details.

What did you design and how did you make it? I'd love to see what you came up with. Can you post an image?

Harte, send me an email to [email protected] and I'll share it with you. I've been encouraged to patent it. Same principle as your image but added and changed a few things.

Last edited:
Pilot Den
Sent e-mail as directed. Thanks for sharing!

Great to see all the thinking by the great home plumbers! I followed the first example using crowbar and visegrip to pull the core out, leaving the plastic shell stuck and broken in the hole. Finally found a 6 inch long 9/16" galvanized bolt to screw neatly into the shell -- broke it out by tapping on the vise grip with a hammer. Thanks for all the helpful posts.

Latest posts

Back