Stuck garbage disposal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slsl60

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove an old disposal to replace it with a new one but it is stuck--can't turn it to remove it. So far tried leverage with a screwdriver, hitting that with a hammer, WD40, and right now I have some PB Blaster on it. Nothing has worked so far, so what else can I do? Someone suggested heating it with a hair dryer. What if I unscrewed the screws holding the assembly above it--would the whole thing drop down?

This is my first time doing this, so any suggestions would be helpful--I'm new at this stuff so I would require instructions!

Thanks!

Do you have the three ring twist collar connecting the disposal to the bottom of the sink? If so, two Phillips screwdrivers inserted into the holes and twist off lefty loosey.

I had one like that recently but after a few wacks with a hammer and chisel it came out, a long time ago I had to cut the collar off from the sink side with a sawzall wasn't easy think was able to bend the collar so it fell thru the sink, it took a while, maybe you can get a Dremel tool below somehow, there are plenty of cutting dill bits? If that's what they are called

If you can't get it to move with the PB blaster then either dremel it or use a sawzall and cut it.

Do you have the three ring twist collar connecting the disposal to the bottom of the sink? If so, two Phillips screwdrivers inserted into the holes and twist off lefty loosey.
Who was it that said, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."? My point is to make sure the screwdrivers are adequate in lenght too.

You might try the auto mechanic trick for nut / bolts that won't move.
Try tightening it a fraction, this often breaks up corrosion, and allows movement.
Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back