Stuck Drain Stopper

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael2019

Reaction score
Greetings, I want to know if this drain can be fixed. The drain stopper in my tub is stuck in the non-drain position. The lever on the tub broke off and fell behind the tub. At this point I would just be happy if I could open the stopper allowing water to drain. I had one handyman take a look and told me we would have to get at it from below. This is not possible as below me is another home owner who won't let me cut into his bathroom, and I don't blame him from the picture below do you think there is any way to remove the stopper?

If it's similar to the attached picture, you could try removing the 2 screws and handle cover. Then figure out some way to grab whatever is left in there. (If you're lucky it may be broken right there and you fix it or wire it up in the open position.)
If you can't see anything,
I think I would try twisting maybe 4 strands of relatively thin wire together and leaving 4 hooks on the end, similar to a treble fish hook. And go fishing for what you can grab and pull up on.Tub Drain Stopper.jpg
Treble Hook.jpg

I use a metal coat hanger I put a little bend on it....the linkage may still be behind the plate try needle nose pliers....spray some pb blaster down there it may be jammed a little
if you use needle nose use the overflow hole as leverage...put a piece of cardboard under the pliers so you don't mark the tub be patient if you really force it it will break and really be tough to remove....

Thanks for the replies, the picture really helps. I will try to fish for the linkage. I'm not familiar with pb blaster, is that some form of lubricant.

Well, As it turns out, the lever which I assume is attached to the stopper is still there. When I try to pull it up it is stuck. I tried spraying wd40 but still stuck. I was just trying to pull up on the rod, is that right? It seems to be stuck in the don't drain position as water does not drain. I will post the image .

drain2.JPG

Well, As it turns out, the lever which I assume is attached to the stopper is still there. When I try to pull it up it is stuck. I tried spraying wd40 but still stuck. I was just trying to pull up on the rod, is that right? It seems to be stuck in the don't drain position as water does not drain. I will post the image .

View attachment 19850
so...what you have looks nothing like the link the above poser sent......so that grayish piece attaches to the handle?????what type of material is that??? could you cut or drill it out??

Well, I think I am screwed. I tried pulling up with pliers and the thing broke... I think the only way to fix this now is a new tub.

IMG_2985.JPG

Unless I can get the little hook on the stopper with a coat hanger. Sounds like a long shot though.

so...what you have looks nothing like the link the above poser sent......so that grayish piece attaches to the handle?????what type of material is that??? could you cut or drill it out??
The picture was right above the adjustment nut. With the whole piece out it looks more like the picture above.

Unless I can get the little hook on the stopper with a coat hanger. Sounds like a long shot though.
not screwed.....get a metal coat hanger double it and make a small bend you may want to get an inspection mirror and a flashlite you may be able to see what you have to hook it takes patience but it can be done

not screwed.....get a metal coat hanger double it and make a small bend you may want to get an inspection mirror and a flashlite you may be able to see what you have to hook it takes patience but it can be done
try some graphite lube(home depot)it may slide /loosen easier

Ok thanks, so there is hope. I will pick up some graphite lube as you suggest and try again. Thanks

Can you get to the back of the tub where the drain is. Even if you have to cut a hole in the wall in your apartment. Then you can take the drain apart
and get to the piece that broke off. Get things fixed and then repair wall and if in a closet put an access panel in for future.

Get a small diameter graphite wire fishing tool or even try the flat metal tape wire fishing too and shove it down the tube BAM there you go it will pop it open

The part that does the actual stopping of the water (labeled internal stopper in the first picture) is a brass tube with a horizontal rod across its diameter. If you can hook that horizontal rod, you can pull up and remove the brass tube completely, which will allow the tub to drain. I would use an electricians fish tape, or a coat hanger with a hook on the end to try and snag that rod.

Once you get it removed, you can buy a blank plate to cover the overflow hole, and a "toe-tap" strainer. That would give you the ability to have the tub hold water when needed. However, that would require removing the existing strainer in the tub, and replacing it with the new toe-tap one.

Latest posts

Back