Stuck diverter valve after the tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamhound

Reaction score
My septic tank feeds a diverter valve, a 4" NDS 575, that can send effluent to either or both of two leach lines. I believe the valve is sending all to one of the two lines and I need to change positions to the other line to rest the overused line.
Problem is that the valve will not turn. I wiggles a few degrees but won't turn anywhere the 90 degree quarter turn I need. The tank pumper told me to oil it and force it or even just pull or drill out the valve's innards to allow free flow to either line. That may work but it will not properly rest the line that is not draining well. I give it some token shots of WD40 and light machine oil but did not drench it and repeat.
The tank was in good shape and I did not send the 'wrong stuff' down the line that I can tell. No filter on this 30 yr old concrete tank and ABS pipes.
I prefer to turn the valve and not to break it in the process since removal for replacement will be quite unpleasant (under a large wooden deck). The valve is 30" long and mostly below surface. The deck is 18" above surface and I have to work between the deck joists on 16" centers.

Due to access and design, the handle of the valve is not convenient to grab and may not be strong enough to allow serious torque. But, I have made a 'handle' with two 2x4s to grab the thin, flat valve handle and to raise the grip up a couple of feet to just above the deck level. I could make a better handle with 2x6s which would allow me to apply more torque. But I could break it if I do not know of a better way to get it loose first.
NDS is not making their staff available. Image of valve attached.

Any ideas out there?

IMG_1178-qpr.jpg

Don't know were your from but I have never seen or heard of anything like that on a septic system. I don't understand the the reason as to why it would be needed. All the septic systems I have seen distribute the waste to the entire drain field. Not just one section of it.

John

my question is why do u need to switch to another line is the other one broken. The valve you have can be moved to divert to another leach field. Just trying to get more info on why you need to do this.

i am sorry just read your post again. So the current line is not draining well and you want to change to other one. Is line broken or is there stuff going down line that is not suppose to. the diverter valve should turn either a quarter turn or half a turn.

This system is 30 yrs old and there are two lines for that take the liquid effluent. Each has a riser for inspection and one has had a high level. I do not now if solids have passed out of the tank but the recent inspection was normal and the sucm was about as much as expected. This from the pumper who I assume is aware of what is good ana bad.
I was advised to consider just letting the liquids pass through the valve and let the filed take it, both lines at a time. That is my baclup plan if I cannot get this vavle to workl.
I live in a very picky area of Santa Cruz County, CA where they want things done a certain way and force plans and inspections. Ultra environmentally consious, etc. The valve is there by regulations but I cannot speak to the technical advantage.
I do not know if the line is broken but it may have become plugged to a certain extent. No trees there to mess with it, at least I doubt the oak trees can get that far out...
I am going to try to remove the stem with some lube of some sort and try to clean it and put it back in. I just hope not to break it.
NDS finally returned my call and said there is nothing to stop the stem from coming out. The tech looked at the design prints for the valve design. He did not even say there was an o-ring. So, I will give it a try and see what happens. The tech even offere a free stem if I break the one that is reluctant.
Will report back for those that are interested.

This system is 30 yrs old and there are two lines for that take the liquid effluent. Each has a riser for inspection and one has had a high level. I do not now if solids have passed out of the tank but the recent inspection was normal and the sucm was about as much as expected. This from the pumper who I assume is aware of what is good ana bad.
I was advised to consider just letting the liquids pass through the valve and let the filed take it, both lines at a time. That is my baclup plan if I cannot get this vavle to workl.
I live in a very picky area of Santa Cruz County, CA where they want things done a certain way and force plans and inspections. Ultra environmentally consious, etc. The valve is there by regulations but I cannot speak to the technical advantage.
I do not know if the line is broken but it may have become plugged to a certain extent. No trees there to mess with it, at least I doubt the oak trees can get that far out...
I am going to try to remove the stem with some lube of some sort and try to clean it and put it back in. I just hope not to break it.
NDS finally returned my call and said there is nothing to stop the stem from coming out. The tech looked at the design prints for the valve design. He did not even say there was an o-ring. So, I will give it a try and see what happens. The tech even offere a free stem if I break the one that is reluctant.
Will report back for those that are interested.
How did you resolve this? Can you actually remove the stem? How deep is this valve? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back