Stuck cartridge, unknown brand

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XRosa

Reaction score
20200206_144606.jpg 20200206_114927.jpg 20200206_105333.jpg

Attachments

• 20200206_114927.jpg
    20200206_114927.jpg
    947.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200206_114927.jpg
    20200206_114927.jpg
    947.9 KB · Views: 2
Hi everyone,

We noticed a leak in our shower. The leak seems to originate from the "stem" of the shower handle. After doing some research, it became apparent I need to replace the cartridge. Disassembling the handle and backplate, I cannot see any brand name or logo for any part. I also looked directly on the valve behind the wall. No identifying information is observable. I searched online but no matches; this thing could well be 13 years old, the age of our house.

My problem at this point is that my cartridge seems stuck and I don't know how I can get it out. I'm not sure if I need to pull or twist it out.

Can anyone please:

1- Help identify the cartridge / shower handle assembly

2- Offer insight as to how to remove the cartridge? The only way I could apply torque to the part would be to grab it by the stem. I don't think it's a good idea... Should it be press fit? Do I need to pull very hard?

Thank you
X

I made some progress on my own and should be able to resolve from here... I've been to a general hardware store and they were completely useless.

For anyone interested... The cartridge is an HL-40 Aquasource Ceramic cartridge with a short, splined stem. I can't find this exact kind in Canada, though Amazon seems to sell a long, non splined version. A comment left by a purchaser says that the stems *could* be swapped to transform the new one into the old HL-40 version. I'm uncomfortable doing that, for now I found another one sold at Amazon:

Zurn RK7300-CART-3P Pressure Balancing Cartridge

A comment left against that cartridge says it does show the HL-40 marking. The shorter stem makes me hope I could somehow remove the square stem adapter and discover the exact splined stem I need. I will purchase this one and report my findings back here.

X

Back