Stubborn tub spout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmanning

Reaction score
I am having trouble removing an old tub spout. There is a large hole on the bottom side indicating that there should be a set screw. However, I am unable to see in there. Also, the space between the tub and the spout is so small, I can only fit a pinky in there. I don't feel anything like a screw... just the pipe itself. So, I tried twisting this thing off and it just won't budge. I am at a loss as to what to do next. I don't want to do too much twisting and turning and potentially damage the pipe or break something behind the wall. Any ideas on what to do would be greatly appreciated. I uploaded the best picture I could get of the under side of the spout. 20181010_154956.jpg

There might be a set screw. Get a mirror and a flash light and see if you can angle the mirror enough to see if there is a set screw. Shine the flash light in the hole and look as good as you can. If not, you should be able to unthread it off.

I tried the mirror thing. The problem is the angle. There's not enough clearance for me to angle the mirror to see straight up in there. Whoever installed this spout put the plumbing way too close to the tub.

Smart phone pictures. I can usually maneuver my iPhone into a psotion to get a picture, even if I can’t get anything else in there. It may take a few tries to get things lined up shooting blind, but once you figure out where the lens and led are you can go pretty fast.

Are you totally replacing that one? Hold the spout tight with one hand. Good sharp hacksaw in the other. But you have to just cut around the spout. Don’t cut straight thru. You might cut your tub arm. Then you will be able to see what’s holding it on. May still have to unthread it a little but then Allen head set screw will then be able to be accessed.

Do you have access to the back of the faucet in a closet or something???? Also do
you know what kind of faucet you have. Is it a Moen??

Sometimes manufacturers will use the same blank for tub spouts rather its is threaded or done with a set screw.

Latest posts

Back