Strange tub faucet handle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mic81784

Reaction score
Hello!
Just moved in to new house recently. The tub faucet isn't like any other I've encountered. When the water is off, the handle points up at the ceiling. If I turn it a little to the right, the water is super hot. All the way 180 degrees to the right and I get mildly hot water. If I turn to the left, it is all cold. Is this easily replaceable with a normal handle that I can just turn all the way around? Do I need to post pictures? First post on the forums here, thanks.

Blue is cold, yellow is off, red is extreme hot and black is comfy hot. What gives?

Attachments

• IMG_20200701_161846~2.jpg
    IMG_20200701_161846~2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
I should mention it does not go all the way around. It is either left or right for 180 degrees

Is it just as simple as replacing with a new handle that is to my liking? I wasn't sure if it needed something proprietary to this faucet.

You should be able to unscrew and rotate that handle so it points down. That way, it is less confusing

Our issue is that it is only hot, warm or ice cold. A lukewarm shower would be nice in the summer. There is no way to achieve it right now.

Hello!
Just moved in to new house recently. The tub faucet isn't like any other I've encountered. When the water is off, the handle points up at the ceiling. If I turn it a little to the right, the water is super hot. All the way 180 degrees to the right and I get mildly hot water. If I turn to the left, it is all cold. Is this easily replaceable with a normal handle that I can just turn all the way around? Do I need to post pictures? First post on the forums here, thanks.
its upside down. universally it's cold on the right hot on the left. Perhaps the whole faucet was installed upside down.

Another of the Moens with the worn-out valve that mixes hot/cold before you want it to?

Looks like an amateur sloppy job of installation.

The shower valve should be much higher on the wall, yours is actually touching the tub spout.

So who knows what other goofs have been made in that installation?

The handle was probably mounted upside down because it was too low and hard to reach if mounted correctly.

It also might have been close to hitting the tub spout.

I should also note the home is 100 years old. So I'm assuming they were not up to code lol

The handle was probably mounted upside down because it was too low and hard to reach if mounted correctly.
It also might have been close to hitting the tub spout.

It looked to me that if that handle was mounted long end down, it would hit the tub spout. I remember reading the instructions on first single lever tub-shower I installed, they specified a certain minimum distance between the tub spout & the handle, accordingly so the diverter would work right.
I wonder if that's an issue the OP is dealing with.

I agree with Jeff that the handle was hitting the spout. Try reversing it and see if it hits.

The cartridge needs to be turned 180 degrees. Reinstall handle pointing down (no, it will not hit the spout).
Turning counter-clockwise- cold 90 degrees, to warm180 degrees, to hot 270 degrees.
Direct from Moen tech support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back