Strange tool ID request.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Condo99

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm not a plumber but I had a dear uncle who was and he passed away 3 years ago. He left me lots of tools of which I know what all are for but this one in particular has me perplexed.

Since he was a plumber, I'm assuming it is a plumbing tool. It's pretty heavy and obviously opens and closes to grip something or another.

Any identification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

New-2.jpg

New-3.jpg

Pincers.jpg

Some kind of handle puller is my best guess... I dunno for sure.

looks like something to hold a horseshoe, you know when its hot and your pounding on it... but thats just a guess out of my $@#

Well. He didn't shoe horses but he did work at a ship building facility in the 1970's. It may be a special tool for that line of work. I guess I should look up a good ship building forum and give it a try there.

Looks like a hand held metal punch.

But you pull the handles apart to close it...which would be a terrible way to have to punch something.

Also, what the hell are those pivoting pieces on the ends of the handles for?

holy hotsauce !!! this makes perfect sense... thanks for clearing up the brain Cobwebs.. :)

Got me!! I've been in Florida for the past 17 years, before that I was in the northeast. We did plumbing and heating up there and I do miss doing hot water heating systems.

John

You are correct sir! Found this exact same tool on a cast iron radiator site.

Thanks for clearing up this small mystery I've been trying to solve since 2007.

Condo99

Back