strange toilet problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseye

Reaction score
Our toilet is flushing either very slowly and sometimes overflows before it will go out.
If I run water in the bath tub or sink it makes large bubbles of air come up through the toilet bowl. It will bubble for about a minute and then will usually flush after that but sometimes not.
Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem might be?

It's possible the blockage is well into the pipes, but before the other drains. At my house, I need to get my sewer lines cleared about once a year. If done correctly, there is little harm and clogs and slow running drains no longer occur.

Okay, I pulled the toilet out and ran a snake down and the drain is clear as can be all the way to the septic tank. There was no water standing in the pipe. The bowl passages were clear with very little build up. I don't get it.
The sink and tub drains tie into the 4" pipe that is directly under the toilet and about 6" down from the flange so in effect there is no room for a clog between them.
One thing, the wax seal was smashed out on the back side of the flange. I replaced it of course.
Could this have been causing an air leak and caused the slow/no flush condition?
I have only flushed clean water since replacing and it seemed to work okay, but then it did sometimes before. I will have to check it with some product in the bowl sometime soon. lol

Last edited:
Bubbles from toilet when sink or tub is running is usually a stoppage.
But if you continue to run water and it never backs up, it could be a venting problem

Check your vent ( on roof ^)
Run a snake down it if you can
Excessive amounts of spider webs with dust can inhibit air flow.

Last edited:
Since you are sure that the line from the toilet to the septic is clear, it is probably a vent problem. Plumbing systems need air to operate. This is the reason for the vent. It allows air into the system and also takes odors out. If it is safe, go on the roof with a flashlight and see if the vent is plugged.

Latest posts

Back