Strange Plumbing Issue - Two water heaters

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAsteve

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have an issue with plumbing in my house that I've been trying to diagnose without any luck. Today I called a licensed plumber who wasn't sure what the issue was and the plumber I typical use has Covid19. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Background: There is a water heater in the basement (for a basement apartment) and another water heater that supplies the upstairs.

Issue:
The hot water downstairs still works, but none of the hot water faucets work upstairs (different water heater). The cold water works upstairs and also on one faucet downstairs. I suspect a supply line must be clogged that supplies the upstairs hot water heater and the other cold water lines downstairs that aren't working. There isn't any water at all flowing from these faucets.

Frequency: In the past 10 days the water has stopped working like this three times then started working again a few hours later. Currently, it hasn't started working again yet and it has been almost 1 day. It seems to stop abruptly, not just slow down. I thought maybe a pipe was freezing, but this is the first time this issue has ever happened (at least in the past 5 years). It also worked fine then stopped about two hours later (seems too quick for a pipe to freeze).

Any recommendations? Thank you in advance!

You can drain the line, it from the hot water outlet side that has the debris in it..., also, when you go to fill it up, remove the aerators so the screens don't clog up.

Let us know what happens.

Latest posts

Back