strange faucet washer needed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom60634

Reaction score
the seat of my faucet looks like just like fitting for a flexible gas hose its almost like a tapered washer in shape except its round I am talking about the shape of the seat so I need an inverted tapered washer any idea were to get such an itme

There are literally hundreds of seats. You have to take the seat out and go to a plumbing supply house and match it up. Really helps if you know the brand.

Many faucet makers prior to about 1970 made their Bibb washer seats in a “tapered” pattern. The Bibb washer could be either flat or tapered, many would work well with either. The tapered seat pattern did make it a bit easier to regrind the seat face flat since less metal is removed. Remember that Bibb washer globe valve designs require some flat area on the seat or the seat will cut the new washer pretty soon. But if you cut away too much, the seating area will be too wide and you will need a 24” wrench to close it!
A couple of tricks to remember:
Soft Bibb washers, like buna-n have enough “springiness” to actually push the stem and washer back off the seat if the stem is old and the threads worn, or the stem moving through the packing is worn down (packing or o-rings). Consider a hard fiber Bibb washer when you see one do this.
On old two handle shower valves, using tapered (cone-shaped) Bibb washers, especially on the hot side may give the user a finer level of control for shower temperature. The cone-shaped Bibb washer lets the valve mimic the operation of a “characterized” globe valve, with a much wider band of control.

Post a picture of the seat and stem with existing Bib washer.....

the existing washer was just a standard flat washer as the valve stem had to be changed the seat is in the wall no way to get a good shot of it with a camera i can see it with my eyes its almost like a gas hose fitting in shape its more like a ball with a hole in it the hole is strait clean hole the sealing surface is what is funky right now I got a bib washer in it this seals but its very spongy as the edge of the hole is digging into the washer i thought about putting the bib washer in upside down but no way to keep it stable it looks pretty much like that but the edge of the hole is kinda sharp not razer sharp just a lack of a bevel

Attachments

• A-424-2.jpg
    A-424-2.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back