Stopping hot water system noise

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groston

Reaction score
When we purchased our house, which is just over 20 years old, from the builder, a fair amount of time was needed for the water coming from the faucets in the master bathroom to get hot. After some discussions, the builder installed a passive hot water recirculation system, a simple 1/2” line. This system has an on/off valve and its line accesses the heater by its drain spout (on the bottom).

For the past several years, we have noticed black particles in the hot water. We installed (unrelated reason) a new water heater a few years ago and we just flushed it, but the black particles continued. It was suggested, by a plumber, that the particles could be coming to the faucet by way of the recirculation line.

To address this problem, I installed a swing-type check value in the recirculation line near the water heater. Once installed, we noticed that the water seemed hotter, got hotter more quickly than before, and the black particles have mostly disappeared. So, the valve seems to be working.

However, when certain faucets are opened, there is a ‘banging’ noise from the water system, and this only started once the valve was installed. The banging happens at a rate of around 1-3 Hz and when the valve on the recirculation line is closed, the noise stops, Further, the noise seems to be coming from the check valve, so I assume that the valve is rapidly opening/closing. Further, this behavior seems to support the notion that water was flowing to the valve by way of the recirculation line.

So, what can be done to stop the valve from making the noise (and simply removing the valve is not a good response)? Basically, is there something that can be done to ensure that all water flowing to faucets is coming via the hot water line and not the recirculation line?

Thanks.

Try drilling a small hole (1/8”) in the flapper of the check valve.

Thanks you - the suggested fix is certainly easy to do, but I cannot begin to imagine why drilling such a hole would help in any way.

well, I do not know much about this. But Many times a valve or tap carries a worn washer which can whistling and squeaking. have you checked that??

Latest posts

Back