Still no cold water after replacing cartridge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_Lockwood

Reaction score
So we are not getting cold water in the shower. I read up on this and everything pointed to replacing the cartridge. Because of the age of the house we are unable to tell what type of fixture it is, my local plumbing supply store was able to determine the right cartridge by looking at the old one. So I installed it, Lasco 0-3213 and put it all back together. Turned it on and still basically no cold water, a trickle but it is still not right. I turned the water off, removed the cartridge and turned the water back on to see what was happening. Water was coming out but it seemed to be only hot, to confirm I turned the water off going to the hot water heater. Once that was done I was getting getting a soft trickle of water coming out. There seems to be another plastic piece that sits behind the cartridge but it is in there pretty good. Not sure if the cold water side has a clog or if there is something else going on. It should be noted that I have no issues with cold water anywhere else in the house.

Makes sense. Any options for that without having to tear into the well to access the pipes.

The faucets cold side is probably plugged up with sediment. Pretty hard to clear out. You might have to open
the wall behind the faucet and replace it. You didn't say if it was an older faucet or not. If its old like the house
then its probably time for a change.

I think there is another piece behind the one that I am trying to replace. I have piece that looks like the below but it looks like there is another plastic piece behind this that is in there very tightly and am not sure how to get it out.

1603218794196.png

I think maybe Wolverine is the actual manufacturer, which other companies just rebrand.

If the part still inside is plastic, not brass, it has to come out.
Post a pic of it.

You can grab it with pliers, or carefully poke it with a screwdriver and wiggle it out.

DO NOT scratch up the brass body of the valve or it will likely leak forever.

That looks like it. Here are some pictures of what I have. I cant get the chrome sleeve to unthread either. The piece still in there seems to be pretty stuck and I dont want to run the risk of breaking it and needing to replace the whole faucet as I would then be without water for a period of time.

1603227801687.png1603227812733.png1603227827040.png1603227840527.png

I would put the tips of a needle nose pliers into any two of those three holes, squeeze them tight, and wiggle and twist and pull.

If you are afraid, call a pro.

So many slight variations on that cartridge, be sure to bring both pieces to get the right replacement.

Or search those numbers on Google or ask at a plumbing supply store, with old parts in hand.

You might have service stops, shutoff valves built into your valve, but the tile is blocking them.

I was hoping i could get the extended pipe of the faucet so that I could get closer to the balance piece, otherwise I am working in a tunnel. The cartridge pictured is the replacement that I got from a plumbing supply store who said it was the right one, but they told me nothing about the balance item.

I have done my best to look inside the way and see no service values on either side.

Don’t trust what they gave you, might be wrong, maybe not.
Does the red ring fit over your new cartridge?

I hope you saved the old cartridge, to verify numbers or exact style.

Latest posts

Back