Still dripping after all these tries...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoyntonSteve

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have two identical composite/resin sinks, with identical faucets, and drain assembly. Sink #1, plumbed in as usual, no problems. I’ve been unable to seal sink #2’s pop-up flange properly to stop leaking. For years.

I’ve tried a half-dozen times with the usual Oatley “red” plumber’s putty. An HD plumbing department associate, suggested Oatley’s “blue” putty, stating it’s “for composite sinks”. Several attempts with the new stuff, same results.

There was some unevenness, and bumps in the sink drain “throat”. I filed the area down to smooth. Still leaks.

I bought and tried a new pop-up flange and tailpiece kit. Still leaks.

I’ve done several dozen sink installs over the years, both kitchen and bath sinks, and have never had this problem.

I’ve now had the sinks for a few years and returning them is not an option.

I’m full out of ideas and would greatly appreciate suggestions.

Thanks, Steve

Attachments

• Putty.jpg
    Putty.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
  • Sink_throat.jpg
    Sink_throat.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • Sinks.jpg
    Sinks.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
Use goop

you can buy it at Walmart or Lowes and a lot of other places.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amazing-GO...VwQ2tBh0VeQpkEAQYASABEgJc9PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for the advice, Two, here's what happened. When I saw the consistency of the Goop out of the tube, I was ready to become a believer. I applied the Goop as instructed, waited two days, and the !@#$%^ was STILL leaking! I couldn't believe it. But I forged on, deciding to just throw money at it to see what happens. I bought this bad boy, (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-Chrome-Bathroom-Sink-Pop-Up-Drain/1059287) for $27. As this was already a Twilight Zone project, I went crazy and used ONLY the rubber gasket to seal the pop-up flange. No Goop, putty, or otherwise. Course it worked. Course it did. 😝 I'm calling it nonsense on nonsense technology. But it worked and that's what matters. Very happy to put this one in the rearview. After YEARS...

Latest posts

Back