Steps to check and replace well pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twowaxhack

Currently in the Lab conducting research
Professional
Reaction score
I have a friend that his well pump quit pumping water. That’s all the info I have other than this pic and my friend says he smelled burnt motor smell.

What steps would you take to troubleshoot and replace if necessary. ?
297D5295-2377-4449-A72A-1908DC778B92.jpeg

I will start by making sure I have 220v present. What next ?

Probably a burned starting capacitor. That little half round cover on the right side of the motor is where the capacitor is. If you have 230V to the motor as was said, the next step is to change the start cap. Could also be a bad pressure switch. Both of those things and many more problems are caused by the pump cycling on and off too much, which is the most common cause of pump failures. When you get it running again, you should address the root cause which is the cycling.

I’ve looked everywhere for a parts breakdown showing a start capacitor.,

no dice. I can’t find it anywhere.
FFE3A9F0-F928-4FA6-9621-36AD5AA8BB5F.jpeg
I was going to buy a capacitor to take with me. It’s out the damn country where you can’t buy anything.

We tried to get every well company around to work on it, everyones busy.

Well repair guy ended up making a service call and says the motor is burnt up.

I’m going to my friends house tomorrow for something else, so while I’m there I’m going to look at it.

Still bet it is just the capacitor. Ohm the motor. If it shows a short to ground or an open leg you will need a new motor. If not, try a capacitor. Either way start capacitors and motors are both burned up because the pump cycles on and off too much.

Still bet it is just the capacitor. Ohm the motor. If it shows a short to ground or an open leg you will need a new motor. If not, try a capacitor. Either way start capacitors and motors are both burned up because the pump cycles on and off too much.

You have any idea what capacitor it takes ?

AO Smith motor model K48N2FC4C1. I have tried looking it up three times and keep getting side tracked. But it isn't easy to find as it hasn't popped up for me yet.

Anyone who can walk me through the steps of changing this well pump I would appreciate it.

We have a brand new pump just like you see in the pic to replace it with.

Then just replace the seal and throw on the new pump and bolt it up ? What torque ? Is there a spec or just damn tight ?

Then follow the prime directions.......

Set tank pressure to 2lb lower than cut in pressure ?

Of course wire it up.

Anything I’m missing ? I’m more concerned with how the pump attaches to the well. I dont have any experience with that.

Sorry. Looking back I see you are just replacing the motor. You should not have to disconnect the casing adapter to just replace a motor. Just remove the motor bolts and the shaft coupling to pull the motor off.

Pressure switch on this newly installed pump has already failed. Water dripping out of it.

Latest posts

Back