Starting a water boiler (to heat house)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffpas

Reaction score
Have just moved into a new house, which has a Weil-McClain (GV90+) "Series 2 Gas-Fired" water boiler and radiators throughout the house. It is of course, winter and they're needed.
Its self starting, and relatively new. The previous owner absolutely demanded that I get a hold of his favorite plumbing and heating company, who wants to charge $75.00 just to come out and start it.

It is as I said and have already been told, 'self starting'. I have had a water boiler before, so I'm somewhat familiar with them (have bled the radiators, and lit the pilot light of the back cover, etc) as well as tapped off the water. But this thing seems fancy as hell- with digital numbers, auto pilot, and of course, apparently, much more of a hassle isn't that always the case.

The thing came with a Boiler Manual but its literally a book, over 100 pages long and I'd be darned if it almost seems deliberately confusing. Anyone know anything about starting one of these, or know a good video?
I know people will say, "Worth it to cough up the money" but I have plenty of expenses as is and it really seems a bit overkill to pay someone to come out for a site visit, when I suspect they'll just flip a switch, listen to a few hums and then write up a bill.

The only wild card I can imagine is the house has been sitting vacant awhile, and it was probably drained to be winterized- though it has a water let-in valve.
? ??? ?

Just looking at this boiler on the WEB. I came across this manual which appears to be different than the 108 page owners manual. Not to mention other related manuals.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1022996/Weil-Mclain-Gv90Plus.html?page=5#manual
This unit, as with many of the more efficient newer units, appears rather sophisticated and appears to require more attention and routine maintenance than what you may have seen in the past.
I know you wanted to save the $75 but I would do it, if for nothing else but to see exactly what they do and to discuss what they recommend for routine servicing and why.

Does it have water in it. Well, there is a water intake tap valve in the center, a green lever. With the boiler I have at a rental, you just leave the water tap on to fill in case it ever needs additional water (to prevent it ever operating while running low)

Page 12, the startup procedure is amazingly simple. Simply turn the gas on, flip on the power switch and go set the thermostat.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1022996/Weil-Mclain-Gv90Plus.html?page=12#manual

I honestly feel like a fool paying someone $75 to come out and do that. I tried another plumbing company and they want $100.
Don't worry, the plumbers will make enough money off of me either way.....

Go for it. Thoses models have a low water cut off built in anyway.

Does it have water in it. Well, there is a water intake tap valve in the center, a green lever. With the boiler I have at a rental, you just leave the water tap on to fill in case it ever needs additional water (to prevent it ever operating while running low)

Page 12, the startup procedure is amazingly simple. Simply turn the gas on, flip on the power switch and go set the thermostat.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1022996/Weil-Mclain-Gv90Plus.html?page=12#manual

I honestly feel like a fool paying someone $75 to come out and do that. I tried another plumbing company and they want $100.
Don't worry, the plumbers will make enough money off of me either way.....
So I assume you saw and confirmed that the gauge should read at least 12 psig, as noted on that startup page.

I would call them to come over and be straight forward with the plumber before he walks in the door
tell him, you want him to start your unit up and show you how it is done
most plumbers will be happy to show you
Would still have to charge him $75, which he doesn't want to do. Hopefully he won't regret it.

I got a hold of the manufacturer (Weil McClain) and they said since its self starting they didn't think it was necessary, she could just walk me through the startup.
However the very first thing she asked was, "What does the pressure gauge read?" and I said 80psi. She said it should be 20.
So *sigh* opening up my wallet, and hiring a plumber.
God help me if I end up with a "If only they handn't" $500 bill now....

I got a hold of the manufacturer (Weil McClain) and they said since its self starting they didn't think it was necessary, she could just walk me through the startup.
However the very first thing she asked was, "What does the pressure gauge read?" and I said 80psi. She said it should be 20.
So *sigh* opening up my wallet, and hiring a plumber.
God help me if I end up with a "If only they handn't" $500 bill now....
Are you looking at the pressure gauge on the boiler?
If there's a bypass around the PRV make sure it's closed.(The manual shows one but may not apply.)
upload_2018-12-11_12-27-56.png

Boilers have a relief valve set for 30 psi. Pressure is normally 12-15 psi when cold and up to around roughly 20 psi when at 180 degF (depends on expansion tank and system volume). Pressure is read on the "tridicator" gage, which also shows boiler temperature.
Do not assume anything. Do not assume that it was installed or winterized properly. It does not come with a Low Water Cut Off pressure switch. One may or may not have been installed. The condensate line and pump may not be installed or operating correctly ( I just saw my 2nd one this year that was pumping condensate onto the floor, and without a pH neutralizer.
Do not assume that the boiler has been maintained. It is a sealed combustion boiler and lots of things can go wrong. A competent technician can tell by the way it starts and the appearance of the flames (through the viewing window) how well it is operating. A combustion test would help a lot with assessing.
The manual is complex because this boiler is complex.
You would be foolish to not pay the $75

Back