Standing Drain or "Standpipe" Pressure issue?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayCee23

Reaction score
Hello,

My block was recently pummeled by 3.5" of rain in less than two hours.
There is a 45" standpipe in the only floor drain in the basement.
My neighbors had sewage backup, i did not because of the standpipe.
I might have gotten it worse - it seems as though a crack in the floor started gushing water and i got 2" of water in the entire basement.
Can that tall of a standpipe cause the pipes to burst or do you think it was just the saturated ground causing the hydrostatic pressure to penetrate the slab?

Thanks!

Depending on the age of the house and your location either hydrostatic or seepage from the cast/clay piping under the floor.I worked for 25 years in the western suburbs and near west side, lots of old groundwork but never saw a " burst" from back pressure with a standpipe.
Was it clear water or smelly as in sewage water?

House was built in 1940 and when the sewer main scoped 3 months back, it was clean as a whistle. But i think i do remember seeing a section that was "offset" a bit. Maybe it did have a bad joint.
The water was crystal clear, no sewage present.
Its hard to find this standpipe height topic online - some professional websites state not to use a standpipe over 24" due to pressure build up and possibility of foundation walls/floors cracking or even collapsing, while others say that this type of claim is "unfounded".

Thanks for the response BBP

Latest posts

Back