Stainless steel elbow and brass T fitting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dacarra

Reaction score
Hi, I have to replace my pressure tank (30 years old, waterlogged) with a new one, Well x Trol 202.

This one comes with a 1” stainless steel elbow, to which I will screw the brass T fitting. I have made several brass to brass connections during the years all leak free, but never brass to Stainless steel.

This is what I plan to do:

I can’t get hold of the gray tape for Stainless steel, at least not in time, so I’ll use 6 wraps of the usual PTFE tape. This is because the usual tape is roughly half the thickness of the gray stuff and since 3 wraps of that one is recommended…

Then I’ll spread a -liberal- amount of dope (Hercules Megalo Sealant by Oatey, as it is compatible with SS and with drinking water).

I am not sure how tight I should put them together. Of course the T fitting has to be in a certain position. With brass to brass or copper I’ll normally do 2-3 turns past hand tight, but with SS? Steel is a lot stronger than brass, so there would be no danger of cracking the elbow, but I understand that with SS over-tight is not good. And I would REALLY like to do it right the first time, and not to have to open up the system for a small leak at that joint.

Thanks for any advise

6 wraps of Teflon is waaayyy too much. 2 to 3 max. You won’t reach the sealing threads with that much Teflon. And you only need a little bit of pipe dope on the threads. Too much is a waste, it will either just ooze out the connection or it will push into the fitting then it ends up in the water. Don’t over think things. The connections only need to be reasonably tight. If you’re straining. It’s too tight. If you can move it with your hands, it’s not tight enough

Latest posts

Back