Squealing coming from shower spout?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerklip

Reaction score
Hot water makes a loud squealing noise only when coming out of the spout.
Just started suddenly from one day to the next.
Price Pfister components.
Have hot faucet, cold faucet, and shower diverter.
Only happens on the hot water side, and only after the water warms up.
Replaced the hot water valve/cartridge.
Replaced the shower diverter/cartridge.
When diverter is changed to shower head, the noise stops.
If I completely remove the diverter, and let the water spew straight out into the tub....no noise.
So no noise when the shower head is on. No noise when the shower diverter is removed. No noise when cold water is turned on.
Only hot water, and only when coming through spout.
Any suggestions please?
Thank you.

Thanks Geofd. I'll give what you have suggested a try. We appreciate the input.

Tried a different spout. Still squealing.
Replaced the cold side valve. That was the only one of the three that had not been replaced. Then both sides squealed!
Turned off water main and took hot and cold valves out and turned the main back on for a few seconds. Then put the valves back in. Still squealing.
Replaced the shower diverter, which was new already. Found a different brand.
Completely fixed the problem. Neither side squeals anymore.
Thanks for the help and suggestions.

If you are talking about a pull up diverter built into the tub spout, those have been talked about quite a bit on here.
The quality of their build is usually not like they were decades ago.
Many of them are plastic junk, or the mechanism wears out quickly, or is too leaky and wasteful, even on some metal ones.
If you have problems again, I remember seeing some recommendations on here, for ones that were more reliable.
You could find those old posts by searching key words.

This may sound strange but just for the the theheck of it try a 1/2" ips ball valve and a ips 90 try opening and closing the valve to see if you get the same sound

I should have noted more clear. I have the three knob system. One knob and valve for hot, one knob and valve for cold, and one knob and valve in the center, for shower diverter. Not the kind with the shower diverter built into the spout. Thanks again.

Yes replaced the diverter. It was new. Then after replacing everything else, I replaced the new diverter with another new one, but a different brand. That fixed the problem.
Thanks for the input.

Back