Spring water help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjguy35

Reaction score
My wife and I just bought a house with spring water from a house with town water. Ever since we moved in, after she showers, her hair feels greasy and knotted up when we run our fingers through it. Also our skin feels kind of sticky after we get out of the shower and are drying off. Is spring water soft or hard? Should I get a home filtration system or water softer system? Is this even a plumber question? I need to do something. She's gone an hour to her parent's house to shower because her hair is so heavy and greasy feeling. Please help! Thank you!

Sounds like maybe it's too soft of water. Or do you see reflections of actual grease?

Spring water can be anything, get it tested! In my areas we call them flowing wells, or artesian. We have 2, both are hard water and have some iron, so we have softeners.

I'm betting not soft. Hard water feels like what your talking about. It should only feel like that when it's wet. When you or her hair dry out it should feel fine.

My opinion, unless it's actually hurting something (which it could, mainly your fixtures and appliances) get used to it. Or you could get a softener. But yes get it tested.

Sounds like hard water to me also. Spring water can be wonderful, best for making coffee, but as Geofd said, Test! - never assume. If it meets potable water standards, excellent! If not, you will need to treat. You may need a coarse filter to keep sediment out of valves and a softener to reduce hardness to a satisfactory level, or you may need more extensive treatment such as chlorine for microbiological issues or an RO for the presence of persistent pollutants or heavy metals. Hard water can be hard on faucets, metal drain covers, surfaces of sinks, toilets and tubs or showers. Some minerals present in hard water are relatively easy to remove; some are a challenge.

Back